1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help with a bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mumbojumbo4, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    Im trying to build a bridge for a 4 string. Its going to have a whammy bar. Dos any one here have the scamatics(however you spell it) for one? :help:

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    schematics? i heard that darrin Huff has a trem somewhat like a kahler that he hasn't milled out yet. email him i know his website it www.dhuffguitars.com are you sure that you know how to mill? i thought it looked easy until i almost knobbed of my finger. and no offense but if you can't spell schematics, how are you going to design/build a trem.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Hmm... Setup? That's where I will move this. You might also try the luthier's forum, although I don't know if any of our resident luthiers mill their own bridges.

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey man you stole my idea!!! :bawl:

I was gonna bulid a bridge as an evening thing to pass the time. I don't want to hyjack the thread but what material you making it out of? :confused:

I don't think you want a schematic drawing, you want an engineers drawing, third angle and all that! :D

5. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    i have no idea what im doing, dont know how to millor what im using. But il make one or build one. Watch me.

6. If you want a whammy for a 4 string bass, why don't you just BUY a hipshot?

If you attempt to make anything other than a fixed bridge yourself, your chances of failure are TREMENDOUS.

I personally don't like whammy bars, even on guitars. Use string bending techniques or go fretless. But to take a hunk of wood out of a perfectly good bass just to put in a whammy bar???...

well...to each his own, i guess.

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    +1

I think if this is your first attempt at milling anything like a bridge then your better off starting with a fixed bridge.

I think you'll find that there aren't many engineers drawings around, I plan on making my own from dimensioning(sp?) a bridge I already have.

Good Luck!