Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with a bridge...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mumbojumbo4, Sep 12, 2004.

1. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    Im trying to build a bridge for a 4 string. Its going to have a whammy bar. Dos any one here have the scamatics(however you spell it) for one? :help:

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    schematics? i heard that darrin Huff has a trem somewhat like a kahler that he hasn't milled out yet. email him i know his website it www.dhuffguitars.com are you sure that you know how to mill? i thought it looked easy until i almost knobbed of my finger. and no offense but if you can't spell schematics, how are you going to design/build a trem.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm... Setup? That's where I will move this. You might also try the luthier's forum, although I don't know if any of our resident luthiers mill their own bridges.

4. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey man you stole my idea!!! :bawl:

I was gonna bulid a bridge as an evening thing to pass the time. I don't want to hyjack the thread but what material you making it out of? :confused:

I don't think you want a schematic drawing, you want an engineers drawing, third angle and all that! :D

5. mumbojumbo4

mumbojumbo4

Feb 11, 2004
    Illinois
    i have no idea what im doing, dont know how to millor what im using. But il make one or build one. Watch me.

6. If you want a whammy for a 4 string bass, why don't you just BUY a hipshot?

If you attempt to make anything other than a fixed bridge yourself, your chances of failure are TREMENDOUS.

I personally don't like whammy bars, even on guitars. Use string bending techniques or go fretless. But to take a hunk of wood out of a perfectly good bass just to put in a whammy bar???...

well...to each his own, i guess.

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    +1

I think if this is your first attempt at milling anything like a bridge then your better off starting with a fixed bridge.

I think you'll find that there aren't many engineers drawings around, I plan on making my own from dimensioning(sp?) a bridge I already have.

Good Luck!