Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with a head/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MCBTunes, May 12, 2005.

1. OK well the time has come I need a rig, heres my situation.... I play with friends, 2 guitarists, they play through ****ty stuff(like what I have now), and we have an accomplisched drummer that wants to jam with us... I play through crap everything and a 25 watt combo... I can't be throwing money around right now, its kinda tight... but these are my options...
    I play rock, with a hint of punk flavour. Lots of Dream theatre type stuff, and lots of root notes. I want something that will supply my bass with a good bottom end, warm punch.

1. I can pick up a used Eden Wt400 head for 400USD used(good shape) and find a cab

2. I can buy a new Yorkville XS400 head, and find a cab.

3. I can buy a Yorkville 200 watt 2x10 combo. 529 USnew

I need something that will provide enough umph to play with the drummer, and maybe if we start doing some smaller gigs. Will the 200 watt combo work for me? Or is it wiser to go for a 400 right now so I dont need to upgrade in a year or whatever if we start gigging? Transport is another thing, I dont want it to be a huge hassle to carry this thing to my buddies garage and back, so no huge cabs i dont think(just a 2x10 maybe). You might beable to tell I'm leaning towards the combo, but I just dont know if it'll be enough.

It seems like all I've been doing is asking for :help: recently, but I really appreciate it.

Michael

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

You should also take a look at the Kustom Groove Bass 1200. About $500 new, 1200 watts, tons of features, stainless steel front, killer knobs and switches, great tone! Click my sig below...

You should also take a look at Avatar cabs (www.avatarspeakers.com). By far the best bang for the buck in cabs!

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Where is it you live again? I say go for that Eden, you will be very satisfied. Pair that with an Eden or Bergie, or Avatar if you are on a budget and it wioll be an awesome rig.

4. I live in Saskatoon Saskatchewan. So a used eden over a New Yorkville you think? Are tubes a good idea? I want it to be plug in and play even though I'm not on the road right now i want road worthyness :)

And I'll check out those avatar cabs. they do look nice and cheap :)

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would think Avatar's are definately your best bet for a cab. They're of great quality for the price.

If you have a shot at a used Eden, it may be worth it. 400Watts through a 410 or 212 is definately enough to gig with.

6. a b212 costs 435CDN plus PST and GST.

they now have a candian distributor!!! :D

7. i thinki'll just get the combo. w/ the PA systems down here it'll be enough, and its cheaper soi can affored a new musicman model this summer.