Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with a "short horn" design...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Mar 30, 2004.

1. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I need a "short horn" bass design. I have a peice of wood that is not long enough for my normal stuff, so I need to come up with a short horn look. I like the short alembics and the Jaydee MK stuff... I was just wondering what else might be out there that I have missed. Any pics would be appreciated.

Jon

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I was looking at the Ken Smith site, one of his models have short horns I believe. It says the shorter horns give better balance while sitting.

What kind of wood?

3. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Satinwood... :)

4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    If it turns out as good as the others I have seen then it will be awesome.

Good Luck Designing :D

5. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I am sure its going to be alembicish... but I am looking for that original touch... hmmm.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Maybe an Alembic Signature Standard body with some omega cutouts... wait thats my dream shape you can't have it.

:D

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm surprised you're asking for help, since the previous basses you designed on your own were so outstanding.

With a short horn, you're open to serious neck dive - like those Alembics, and also Gibsons for that matter, are known for.

Ever consider going headless? Could be really cool!

8. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I just have a bit of designer block... :)

9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Try a no cut... be a trend setter

10. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im pretty sure its going to be a lightwave, short horn, fretless... the horn isnt that short... it will be a while though.

11. For shorter horn designs, I prefer symmetrical designs like the Danelectro Corvette, or the Gibson dual-cut special (think melody maker or Hamer Special)

12. Yeah, make a Bo Diddly bass.

13. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    When you say "short horn," what are we talking here? 15th fret? 17th? 19th?

14. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    A Zia tribute maybe :D

;)

Peace,
    JP

15. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    hehe... that is an option.

Im not sure of the exact dimensions... but I will figure them out and let you know.

16. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    One way is to look at guitar designs as a starting point. The Les Paul is simply elegant. These are nice too:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Hi, as you may or may not know I have been fooling around making up these wacky tobaccy designs and thought you might klike to know I made one based on your own design, I have also a short horn design for you to maybe get inspired from or use or whatever:) have fun looking at it:D

P.S. the first is the short horn design and the second is the one I based on your design:bassist:

18. How about these short horns:

Fender Mustang/Bronco/Musicmaster
    Kawai F2-B
    Wal
    Gibson EB
    Fender Jaguar or Jazzmaster
    Turner

You don't have to really sacrifice the body if you take the neck and sink it deeper into the body and leave high fret access like Lakland, Curbow, or even Wishnevsky and the TB bass.