i need help with EMG wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JayJay, Dec 22, 2003.

1. JayJay

May 13, 2002
    I purchased an EMG J-set recently and it comes with a pre-harness of 2 vol pots and a tone pot. Being a master vol. and blend person, I purchased another EMG blend pot.

Now, i do not know how to wire my pickups to a single vol. + blend + tone configuration. I remember seeing a diagram in their hard-to-find wiring diagram on their website but recently, they just revamped the website and all these special combi diagrams are missing. I tried emailing to them and there is no response. I am even thinking of getting some reference from their BTS/BQS wiring diagrams but have not enough confidence and afraid of a wrong connection may blow up my amp. Hence any help from TB members will be greatly appreciated.

Can I do away with the tone control? i.e just having a master vol. and the blend; as I will be running it through to a Sadowsky outboard preamp.

Also since we are at this, what are your thoughts on the traditional vol. + vol. combinations? I believe some actually swear by this combi.:D

Thanks and have a great festive seasons.
  2. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    pc, that's a good diagram for a standard J bass. But the EMG blend board is an active bit of circuitry attached to a blend pot, it gets wired differently..

up until recently, EMG had hundreds of wiring diagrams showing about every possible combination of pickups and accessories. Those aren't present on their new site, which is a bit of a pain. The only wiring diagram of theirs I could find which included the blend board is for one of their eq systems. Look at page 4 of http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/BTseries.pdf

Up top is how to wire the blend board, the BTC diagram in the middle shows how to wire up the BTC system. From left to right you have blend board, master volume and bass/treble control.

If you just want blend and master volume, wire as per the diagram but ignoring the b/t pot. Have the black ground wire from the master volume pot go to where the black wire on the b/t control is going on the jack. Have the white wire from master volume go to where the green wire from b/t control is going in the diagram.
    Let me know if you have any questions
  4. JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Hey Dave and pc,

Thanks for the help and wiring diagram. However, there is still some queries. Dave, the BTC system wiring diagram shows a 50K ohm vol pot but the one that come with the harness (which i am having) is a 25K ohm pot. So is it ok to go ahead with the wiring even though the resistance is difference?

What will the result be using a different resistance vol. pot?
    Should I decide to throw in the tone control with master vol. and blend, any idea how to go about doing it?