1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need HELP with Finale Print Music

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Mar 26, 2009.

1. I'm a fairly new user and can't figure out how to use the Coda system.

I'll attach a pdf.

The problem is that it plays through to the first ending then repeats, as it should, however it jumps at the end of measure 6 to the Coda at measure 18.

I want it to play through the second ending and keep going to the D.S. al Coda in measure 17.

If I delete the jump in measure 6 it plays through just fine but then I never get to measure 18

The pdf will look ok. But it doesn't play back that way :help::help:

2. Anyone, Bueller, Bueller, Anyone :)

3. Versatek6

Versatek6 Fretless is like Trombone Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    This is only marginally helpful, but a reference from their site with a link to Codas: Adding Markings...

Check their Support forum at http://www.finalemusic.com/support.aspx.

You might have to set your repeat measure to D.C./D.S. I remember having to mess with "target measures" and "jumps" but it has been a while, and I can't recall.

If you don't get a better answer from someone else, I'll see what I can find when I get home later tonight.

4. THANKS.

I did find the finale forum and joined. Their tech support people are allegedly looking at the problem.

But if you solve it first I'll owe you a cookie :)

5. Versatek6

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    PM Sent.

6. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hmm... I know how to solve the problem, but find it a bit difficult to explain this way. Hoping that the Finale version you own can read Finale 2009 files, download this Finale file I've just created. It behaves as I understand it in the score: Starts, jumps back to measure 1 after playing measure 8, jumps to measure 9 after playing measure 7, jumps back to measure 1 after playing measure 17, jumps back to measure 1 after playing measure 8, jumps to measure 18 after playing measure 5 and ends. For understanding how the repeats work, just right-click on each repeat's handle and select either "Edit repeat assignment" or "Edit ending".

Please notice: The file will be available for the next nine days only. You don't have to register to download it. Let me know how it works for you.

7. Unfortunately I have PrintMusic 2008.

I suppose I should have specified that in my original post...

8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Finale Reader may help. It's a free download and should open the file I sent you.

9. Finale Reader does allow me to see your file....
    And that is closer to what I'm looking for

- Starts, jumps back to measure 1 after playing measure 8,
    - jumps to measure 9 after playing measure 7, continues
    - jumps back to measure 1 after playing measure 17

so far so good

- NOW AT THIS POINT I expect it to play from measure 1 through the end of measure 5. when it hits the "to Coda" it should jump to measure 18

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

It behaves exactly like that, but first it plays the first repeat (measure 1 to 8 and goes back to measure 1). After that, it jumps to measure 18 after playing measure 5. Do you want to omit that first repeat after jumping back on the "D.S. to coda" mark and jump directly to measure 18 instead? Let me know.

11. What I'm trying to do is
    - measures 1 to 8 : take the repeat
    - measures 1 to 7, then 9
    - measures 10 to 17 : jump back to the Segno
    - measures 1 to 5 : jump to the Coda

If you get it to work are you able to save as 2008 version?

THANKS
    halc@comcast.net
    - measures 18 to the end

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Got it. No problem, but I must use one of the university's PCs since I don't have Finale 2008. I'll do that tomorrow.

13. Hey Alvaro,

The challenge IS ON :)

from the Finale Tech Support

Thank you for contacting MakeMusic Customer Support.

I have taken a look at the file and verified that it plays back as previously stated. Unfortunately this is a limitation of PrintMusic that cannot be changed. When playback reaches the "To Coda" marking the second time, it will jump to the coda. Because the playback route is going from the Start >> First Ending >> Forward Repeat Bar >> To Coda marking, it jumps to the coda because it is the second time it has reached that point. I realize in a real life performance setting this is incorrect, however due to the limitations of PrintMusic it will simply not play back correctly. I apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.

(I posted this on the forum, and added a few comments there. Take a look at it, so I don't have to type again!)

14. Versatek6

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    In other words, now that you are hooked, buy the full version!

:bag:

That's what I ended up doing. Keeping up with the version upgrades can add up after a while...

15. What version do you have?
    Can it do what I am trying?

THANKS

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

:meh: Fortunately I haven't done it yet since the only PC I could access this morning at the university doesn't have Finale installed. If you definitely need the file to play those repeats, the best thing you can do is upgrade to Finale's full version.

17. THANKS for the help.
    If PrintMusic 2009 does it that would be a painless upgrade?

In the meantime I am asking tech support if either ALLEGRO OR FINALE work the way music is written :)

18. Versatek6

Oct 7, 2008
    Twin Cities, MN
    I have 2006. I tried loading your file, but it is not compatible, and I am too tight on time to recreate it. I think it can, but I have not used that feature in so long, I cannot remember. It must, though, as I sent you the Help file on the topic. Let's see what Alvaro can come up with.

Or, if it is the repeat that is hosing things up, pull it out and duplicate those measures so the program can avoid having to deal with it. Just a thought. Same destination via a different route.

Right now it would be $110 for me to get the 2009 version. I think I was able to buy in at about $250 or so through a promotion they were running about five years ago. That was about half price.

I don't make my living with it, but I do a lot of transcribing and arranging brass works for church, and it has saved me a lot of time. I think it has been a good investment.

Added: In the time I typed this, you both jumped back in. I'm slow...

19. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

I've just downloaded and installed the demo of PrintMusic. First time I see it and I must say it is very limited in comparison. In fact, the repeats cannot be done as on Finale 2009. :atoz:

20. I see.....

For some reason I was thinking you have been using PrintMusic 2009 D'Oh