Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with me new Eden, HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Disco_Gee, Jun 19, 2002.

1. MY Eden WT-400 is having problems. It's brand new, I got it from the US and brought it back to Australia. It works fine on 240V (after we converted it) and I played it at church on Sunday. I was really careful to make sure that I didn't drive it hard etc, but after playing it for like 3 hours, it started to produce a distortion with every note. It almost sounds like I am running through a distortion stomp box or something. I took the amp home and tried it out again, and it was fine for like 1 minute, then the distortion started again. We called the place we bought it from and they told us that it was the tube (which is what I expected). We replaced that with a good quality one, and it was fine agian for like 20 mins, but the distortion came back AGAIN! Have any of you had this problem before? I don't know what to do. I would really appreciate and help you can offer. I need to use it again this weekend!!

PS. I don't have an active bass, it is passive.

2. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Is your bass active?
    Maybe you've a bad battery.

Just a weak guess

3. I should have clarified that...No, my bass is passive.

4. can anybody help me? I am desperate!!

5. How do you have it hooked up?
    If you running one 8ohm load you can run it through the bridged setting, that is the center speaker output and the bridge button pushed IN.

If you running less than an 8ohm load you have to disengage the bridge button and plug into one of the 4ohm speaker outputs on either far end.

Not to say you can't run an 8ohm load out of the two end outputs, but you cannot run a 4ohm load out of the center/bridged output. (it's really not in the center but closer to the right end output, but in between at any rate. If you don't have it hooked up right your in trouble for sure.

6. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    You have a bad Mosfet there. It has happened to me several times. It will need to go to qualified repair place.

Sorry about the bad news.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This also happens if you manage to set the drive higher than the volume. I had that little boo boo when I was recording...I had the DI engaged, and had the amp going into a cab so that I could hear myself (or rather, feel it while I had head phones on), and left the gain up, and turned down the volume. I though I had a bad cable or something. Probably isn't the case for you, but I thought I'd say it. Never know then something isn't quite right for simple reasons....

8. What is a bad mosfet? and secondly, is it expensive to fix? I have been testing the amp out this morning, I have played it for about half an hour or so, and the problem didn't show up...I also by-passed the pre-amp and connected my CD player to it, to see if the problem was in the power amp, but after nearly an hour or so, the problem hasn't shown itself. I'm thinking I will continue to test for a while (in between studying for my exam :D) and if the problem is not there, I will just gig with it this weekend, and bring a back up amp. If it comes back, I'm off the the repair dude...

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Why, it's your metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor. Everybody knows that.

10. The WT-400 is a mono amp:)

11. It's fixed!! I feel so stupid though, it turned out to be the battery in the Active EQ on my bass... I just assumed that because the bass had passive pickups there wouldn't be a battery in it...but there was, and it was flat and not properly connected to the terminal. That is why the problem turned out to be intermittent. Oh well, thank you to everybody who responded anyway, I appreciate it.

12. some guy#2

some guy#2

Feb 3, 2001
    Ahhhh...good!
    An inexpensive fix no doubt!

Play on!
    :D

13. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    N.B. since you now know your bass uses a battery,remember to disconnect the cord from the bass when you're not playing it,because the input jack acts like a switch,turning on the preamp and thus draining the battery whenever the cord is connected.Oh,and stick a spare alkaline or lithium cell in your gig bag next time you go out.:)

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm happy for you. The relief is almost worth the fear and frustration, eh?