Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with my eq!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I have a hartke ha3500 and a good eq, the bands:

30hz-64hz-125hz-250hz-500hz-1k-2k-3k-5k-8k

I can boost to +12 or -12

I want a sound that is very toney, but not so toney that string clicking or sliding is audible.
    I also like very round sound. I like a little lows, but i like my lows not so as to desrease my volume and kill the tone. so the basically i want:
    Smooth, rounded tone with not to much lows.

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I think the best way would be trying it out by yourself, because only you REALLY know the sound you're after. And how you have to set the EQ also depends on the sound of your bass and cab(s)
    BUT:
    You should do this while the band is playing, because the bass will sound different when all the other instruments are playing.
    Of cause you can start trying alone to get a feeling what each slider does to your sound.

Matthias

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Here's a general guideline - use your ear to figure what you want to hear:

30hz- generally covered by room ambience. Suppress this as you see fit. Boosting it can simply make you muddy
    64hz-same as above
    125hz-low end rumble added by boosting
    250hz-this is where you get those nice, thick Motown kinda sounds
    500hz-too much here can make you sound tinny
    1k-string definition added by boosting moderately here
    2k-
    3k-
    5k-
    8k-

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Here's my approach to setting a graphic eq:

First, you need the help of a friend.

Set all the sliders in the middle position.

Set the overall volume low.

Stand as far from the amp as possible.

Play a bassline you are familiar with.

Have your friend slide slowly move a slider, (any one), up to the maximum boost.

Decide for yourself if you think the sound is good, bad, or no difference. Also note any sound qualities such as boomy, nasally, etc. that you hear. Use your own words. They are there to jog your memory for the next step.

Have your friend record your responses.

Repeat for every slider, taking your time on each one.

Try not to test adjacent sliders, it is better to jump around the graph.

Ok, now review your notes.
    Cut the sounds you don't like. Always start with small cuts, about -3dB.

Boost the sounds you do like. Again, only small steps.

Leave the neutral ones in the middle.

You may want to boost or cut some frequencies more to give focus to that part of the sound.

Avoid boosting more than +6dB. Otherwise you will have to keep set the master volume lower for normal playing. Besides high boost in one band usually sounds unnatural.

This is a lot of work, but can be great fun and a good learning experience. The real advantage is that you will get to know how your bass and amp respond to different frequencies. This is helpful when you are in a situation where you need to quickly change the eq, such as playing in new room, or when you are tweaking your sound for the overall band sound. This also helps you develop YOUR sound.