Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with my first RIG!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hiddenhead2k1, Jun 10, 2005.

1. hiddenhead2k1

hiddenhead2k1

Jun 8, 2005
    Howdy all,

My name is Jaime and I'm making the switch from guitar to bass. Now the only problem is that I don't know anything about Bass tone. I know i like to play 4 string Bass and im looking to sound heavy and funky at times. I love to play slap-pop as well as distorted bass lines. Can anyone suggest some Amps, Cabs, Bass guitars, etc. I know a lot about guitar tone but bass has not been my range. What kind of tones do i get from diff speakers?? 10 in, 15in, 18in?? Which Basses are better: Active or Passive? i really appreciate the help!!

Jimi

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    First thing is how much are you looking to spend? You want something portable or are you willing to haul gear?

3. hiddenhead2k1

hiddenhead2k1

Jun 8, 2005
    A rig under 2 Grand would be nice...Can you suggest both combo and Amp/Cab rigs?? I already have a bass

4. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    The the next question is going to be what bass is it?

Youve got a lot of options with that money, put up with the 20 questions for a bit. :D

5. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    1. Go to avatarspeakers.com for some really good, inexpensive options.

2. Leave the 18" speakers to the PA subwoofers.

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    Gallien-Krueger heads are a great value though opinions differ on their cabs.

As for what kind of bass to get, this is a long (and expensive) journey. You should get it right by your 4th or 5th bass with our help :D .

7. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    My biggest question is what type of music are you playing & how large of an amplification requirement do you need? Are you playing in a garage? Small Clubs? Large Clubs? Arenas? What do the rest of the people in your band play if you do have a band. And i'd also like to echo what others have said in terms of what kind of bass do you play. do you play fingerpick when you're not playing "slap n' pop"?