Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with my popping.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Grunge_Rocker, Aug 11, 2004.

1. I have always played fingerstyle bass, and self taught myself how to do slap.

I didn't really incorporate popping just learned to be quick and 99% accurate with my thumb. Now I have learned the "proper" slapping technique with thumb pop, I can't for the like of me get the popping right. I want to thump thump before I pop, and I also have gotten stuck in the same rythms.

I was frustrated trying to learn from this one guy in a music store one day, and he saw my slapping style and said. " Well, thats cool you got your own thing going on" . I kinda felt like that wasn't good enough, or maybe I am just a bit concered with being the best player I can be.

Any exercises or suggestions you guys have for popping? Like I said I can slap like crazy with my thumb all day, but am weak in my popping.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is something that always seems strange to me as well - so I have always grown up with the assumption that whenever somebody says "Slap Bass" - they mean slap/pop - it's taken as read!

So it started with 16th note funk - slowing down the tempo and subdividing the bar further - for me it's alays been about playing 16th/32nd notes that would be nearly impossible with just finger style - so you can get from a thumb slap to a pop almost instantaneously and make the notes shorter because of the percussive nature of your playing.

I would say the way to get it, is to play along with a drum machine or metronome set to a really slow tempo - make sure every note is clearly articulated and in time - then when you have it exactly right, speed up a tiny amount and then gradually get it up to the tempo you want over a long period of time - like weeks and months!

3. I Agree with this slowing down not only helps with the articulation as mentioned but popin in different tempos gives you more control in the duration of the note being popped ie: The quicker the tempo the shorter the popped note is played
    Just my two cents worth here
    But bruce is right so theres nothing much more to say but happy practicing

4. Thanks for the info guys I really appreactiate it. I will start practicing with my drum machine.

I haven't lately and I guess I should to help me with my timing. :bassist: