1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help with my sanity!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    please tell me if I am nuts or ok!

ok I own 8 basses....they are all a little different in there own way. I really dont prefer any of them....I usually use one for a few days put it back use another. I would say the one I do prefer the feel of is my 2012 deluxe jazz....but theres something with active basses that just does not sound right with me....anyway a couple weeks ago I traded my sterling classic...again active and sounds weird to me.... for a 75 AVRI....and I love it! Its like the bass was made for me! my fingers just go where they are supposed to everytime! Things I would always stumble on I almost never do with this bass. It plays so perfect its almost like cheating! I have no interest in playing any of my other basses! I can tell in the few weeks I have had this my skills have rapidly improved. I cant believe I never tried one of these before. I never really liked the black blocks look....but I wouldnt care if this bass was purple with pink polka-dots I would still only want to play this bass!
    now they stopped making these in December....Sweetwater is getting in one more from Fender in a couple weeks. They are holding it for me. I want another brand new to put away in case something happens to this one! Is that insane should I really buy another?

Now I am trying to sell some basses but nothing seems to be selling right now...and I am just trying to get some of my money back I have into them. Am I insane for going to buy 2 of the same bass? I dont even want the rosewood version I want the same gaudy maple black blocks.

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I always found that no two basses are alike. Especially Fender J's.

3. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Smart.

You need to look at their teeth and take a test ride or you could wind up with a real gluepot.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Meh. It is all phases to me. I go through phases where I am really into one kinds of bass. Then I switch to wanting one of every bass it could possibly take to "cover all the basses (cough) bases".

I will tell you this. If you are coming here looking for sanity in the world of bass gear, you're in the wrong place! We're all enablers here. That's what we do.

5. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I know my luck it will feel/be different since mine is a 01 and this will be a 12/13 and it will sit in the closet brand new. They have made a zillion of these since 99 when they came out. I could probably always get a used one if I ever needed to....thats my right shoulder talking btw!
    my left shoulder is saying its like the last one made I have to get it!

I think my left shoulder made this post! looking for some support!

you guys are right though all jazzes do seem to be different in there own ways. I have 5 of them all are a bit different....but the 75 is the best.

Its really hard to try before you buy. They dont set up there basses right ever in the store. plus if I am going to buy a new bass I want it new in the box...not a store used one....then its used! plus they do charge way too much for what the 75 avri is....although mine plays so perfect I wouldnt trade it for 2 $1000 basses! Its like I have just been trying all these other basses I have in search for this one!

6. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    and another thing....I used to play for like 2 hours and hands would start killing me....it would be hard to get through some songs....now I never feel anything bad with any song and can play all day without finger pain or cramps or anything.

I think I have to buy this other 75 since its like the last one made!

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Nothing quite as persuasive as the power of one's own rationalization.

8. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    The messed up thing is I dont even plan on setting it up or ever playing it! I have my baby here! this is just a just in case something happens to this bass.
    thats the part I cant quite get over in the sanity dept.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I feel the same way about my Line 6 Variax bass also discountined and I have eleven or twelve different basses and I'm definitely looking to buy another so I can have the electronics.

10. Yes to this. My guitar player has two of the same model Washburn Falcons. One blue, one red. He prefers the red as he says the blue one just feels not as comfortable as the red. In short you are not crazy and you would expect them to be the same and they will but only to a point. Definitely try the bass first before you buy or you may be disappointed if it doesn't feel the same.

11. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Yeah I cant try em....I can only order online. I guess I could search every shop around Boston for one....see but then its used and you might as well buy a used one for half the price....There was one up on ebay a couple weeks ago and I didnt have the total money to get it that was only like 80 serial numbers away from mine. thats the one I should have bought! Thats another thing I am afraid of is a 2012 will feel different from a 2001 that I love. Its so many years apart Fender could have done something totally different to them. maybe I should wait for a 2001 to come up somewhere.

on another note this bass is also the lightest bass I own! it has to be 9 or under! the weight on these basses are all over the place from 8.8-10.8...so if I get a heavy one it will probably not feel the same.

12. By all means, I own 26 guitars and one bass (My first got it two days ago) I am a firm believe in he who has the most guitars when they pass wins... Well sort-a..

13. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    I can tell ya this...if something happens to me....I want to be buried with this 75 avri!! I want it to rot away with me! people can do what they want with my other 7 basses and 2 guitars. I forgot about the 2 guitars. my first I got when I was 5 for my bday a red sears accoustic. and my first electric a 83 hondo strat copy. they have a much bigger sentimental value then dollar value so I wouldnt sell those. I actually dug the electric out of the closet...its been in there a good 20 years...took the black strings off it...wipped off some of the grime and put a fresh set of strings on it.