Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with my SWR. Should I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Ok. Here's the dilema. I play a Musicman Stingray through a SWR 350 bass head with a Goliath III (4x10) and a S.O.B. (1x15). I like SWR but I can't seem to get enough warm bottom and punch. Any suggestions? Should I try a different head? Ampeg perhaps. I play hard rock heavy metal in a single guitar band. So, behind solo's I need some predominant bass rhythm.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

2. Driving a 700 watt 8 ohm and a 350 watt 8 ohm---
    (1050 watts @ 4 ohms) with a 350 watt head ain't
    gonna cut it.

SWR heads matched with SWR cab's is most excellent.

You just need more power.

BTW: You can make an SWR sound Ampeg-ish,
    but an Ampeg can never sound like an SWR.

3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    2nd that

4. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Any suggestions on settings or more powerful amps?

5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    400s..

settings wise try flat with a bit of bass boost and dont get overly zealous with the aural enhancer.

6. I use a 400-S with a Henry.
    The power ratings match-up well,
    and it kicks major arse.

You can get a power amp and use
    your 350 as a pre for the big show.

And use the 350 with the SOB for rehearsals
    and small gigs.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    - Agreed that you need more power to push that speaker combo.

- 'warm bottom' and 'punch' can be somewhat mutually exclusive. I just got one of the new Aphex big bottom pedals and it does add some serious mojo to the low end on my SWR rig. On the other hand, it steps on some of the low-mid punch character of the sound, so I'm blending just a wee bit of it into my sound. Getting what you want out of the lower registers can be a delicate balance, IME. The Aphex pedal, at about $140 bucks, would be worth a shot before you replace the amp, if you're otherwise happy.

Good luck :)

8. dfarr

dfarr

Feb 9, 2001
    Lakeland, FL
    I had pretty much the same setup but have since sold the Bass 350 to upgrade to a Bass 750 for more power. Currently, I'm using it and a Goliath III (8 ohm) in a blues band with a passive MIA Precision and Jazz.

I ran into the same problem with lows and punch. A SansAmp Bass Driver helped a lot. I've also learned to back way off on the 750's aural enhancer and treble, running both at about 9:00 o'clock. Turning off the horn in the cab also helped.

9. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Im a Stingray man myself..I sold my SM400S and Goliath Sr a while back because of the same problem..i sold the cab, then went with Boogie cabs and still had no "depth"..Bought an Aural Exciter and it helped, but still didnt do the trick..I finally sold the head...I found SWR stuff to sound good on other basses, but with the Stingrays it just sounded too "sterile"..I would go with a different head and keep the cabs..I've heard the SWR cabs with different heads and they rock...Just my 2 cents..

Tommy

10. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    How about getting a power amp to use with the Bass 350? Would something like a Carvin DCM 1000 do the trick?

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    hey, I use my GK for everything. You need one of the more powerful ones, at least the 1001. Otherwise, I've seen ampeg to be the most widely used for metal.

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i used a bass350 with a goliath jr and a triad for a while, and while it sounded super nice it sucked volume wise. when i went to my current rack with 1000w it was a dramatic improvement in volume, punch, and tone.

and before i got the preamp i did use the bass350 as a preamp with a DCM1000, and it yielded a very similar result.

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I second the vote for the 750x. That thing kicks! One day, wife willing...

;)

14. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I used to own both the 350 and 750. I upgraded from the 350 to the 750 for more power but when I got it it felt the same to me as you, no bottom. I bought a Yamaha Nathan East Parametric EQ. That solved my problem. I kept it set at Nathan's "Deep 4" setting and the amp sounded good. Right now the 750 is sold so I no longer need the pedal. If your interested in it, PM me. I will give you a good deal. The pedal is dead mint as well.

15. I'll third or fourth the power thing. I've got at 750 with 2 goliaths and have plenty lows and volume. Before you sell your stuff try experimenting with different settings and different strings. Lo-Riders, Fat-Beams, Slowounds and EB Slinkies are all strings that have a good bottom (IMO atleast), and the SWR gear really let's you hear the difference of the strings. I boost the bass a tad both on the bass itself and on the amp. No Aural Enhancer for me, though it'll give you more deep lows if set a nine o'clock as someone already mentioned.
    Another thing you could try is to install antother tube. I've got a Groove tube 12AX7-A (american NOS I believe) and it sounds fatter to me.

Good luck!
    :bassist:

16. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    try a gk man. I had a sm 900 then it broke for some reason so guitar center let me barrow at gk 1001 head. Gets louder then the sm 900 and is less wattage and sounds super nice too

17. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    If money is an issue, i'd try maybe switching the tube..I've heard lots of people have done that with the RCA pre and have been super happy..

Trying new strings was a step I took as well...I absolutely love the DR FatBeams or Sunbeams...Helped the lows considerably..

Good luck..I know exactly what you're going through!

18. Definately get rid of it..... In fact, I suggest you ship it to me immediately and I'll ensure it's disposed of properly. As a courtesy, I won't even charge you for disposing of it. :D

Anybody else got anything they want to get rid of?

19. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    GK and a Stingray go together quite well.Try the 1001RB through your SWR cabs and I think you will be very surprised.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    More power. The 750 has much more headroom than the 350. So, clear low booty. That said little things like pickup height, strings, good speaker and instrument cords can vastly affect sound. Try making all tone controls on the amp flat and get your tone from the bass. Then you can get booty on the notes you want booty and punch on the ones you want punch from and snap etc. Try another bass because sometimes your skill and ear change as you mature and an instrument may not sound the same to you as it did last year. Tone is in your heart then your fingers.