Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help with my "tweeters."

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hategear, Nov 23, 2001.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have never quite figured out the crossover control on my 6x10 cab. It's labeled "horn level" and is marked 0 to 100, in increments of two. I believe I was told at one time that this is sort of a "volume control" for the horns.

First of all, what measurement are these increments in? Second, how exactly might this thing work? If I set the dial at a specific number, is everything above that number directed to the horns?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i'm not sure if yours is any different.. but most tweeter pads, (swr, carvin) that i know have an attenuator there.. this means that the crossover frequency is already set.. and your knob simply cuts the signal going through the tweeter... it's dangerous to cut the tweeter all the way, because you might blow the resistor being used to cut the singal...

play with a pick or a bunch of popped notes while a friend turns the knob up and down.. you should notice your highs getting louder until a point where it just hurts your ears... i'm assuming turning the knob right makes the horn louder.. keep in mind that the tweeter is very directional... and have fun..

3. The L-pad (horn Level knob). Will only change the output volume to the tweeter. Cranked all the way up it is the actuall signal that the amp is sending. When you turn it down it reduces the signal. Much like the volume knobs on a passive bass.

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    So it does work like a volume control?

5. Yeah, you can think of it that way.