1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help with new cab/head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lowlow, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. lowlow


    Jan 18, 2005
    someone please help me! I just got my Ampeg svt-400t head its normally 4 ohms but can be mono bridged to 8 ohms.. And Im using an amped 8 ohm cabinbet. How do I mono bridge it? It seems to be a different cable that I might need then my 1/4" instrument cable. I really need help, I can get it working at 4 ohms I think? But it does not sound right at all.. since this is a 400 watt head and 500 watt cab I should be getting more power. Someone please give me some advice. Heres what Im using.



  2. nonsqtr

    nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

    Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Hi lowlow, what you need to do is to connect your speaker across the two red binding posts on the back of your amp (the ones labeled "mono bridge"). Since those are banana jacks, you'll probably need a cable with a banana plug on one end, and a quarter inch (or whatever plugs into your speaker) on the other end. Basically you just connect the two wires coming out of your speaker (cable), one to each red banana jack. And then don't forget to flip the switch that says your amp is now operating in bridged mode. Don't under any circumstances run less than an 8 ohm load into the bridge, it'll blow your amp. Don't think you can get more power by bridging into 4 ohms, it won't work. Just a single 8 ohm cab connected across the two red terminals, is what you want. That should give you the extra bit of power you're looking for.