1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need help with Photoshop and vectors.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by duo8675309, Apr 6, 2006.

1. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I was looking for a tutorial to show me how to work with vectors. The only thing I know about them is that they use the pen tool. I can't figure out how to use it that well and I need some help. Is there a tutorial that helps you learn from the ground up?

Random emoticon=:eyebrow:

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Vectors are mathematical equations ie they use the cpu to generate themselves..eg to draw a line a point is plotted from say x=0, y=0 to x=10 y=20 and then a line is drawn/generated between these points, this line is a vector and as such it dosent lose resolution when re-sized as opposed to "raterised" graphics which are basically "pictures" of vectors eg: zoom in on an angled line drawn in a vector program (ie illustrator)..the line still looks like a line no matter how much you zoom in..now, zoom in on an angled line drawn in photoshop..the line will turn into "steps" as photoshop tries to interpolate the picture (also known as aliasing or "jaggies"). Basically Vectors are used a lot in print where a graphic has to be re-sized without losing any resolution....(I'm paraphrasing here so I dont want any techies flaming me please :)

Firstly, Photoshop dosent really handle vectors very well, yes there is the pen tool but you still have to "rasterise" the final shape to apply any effects etc. In the Print industry the standard for producing vector artwork is Adobe Illustrator but having been a graphic designer for 10 years I personally find illustrator the most frustrating and downright annoying piece of software I've ever used.

The easiest way to produce vector graphics (imo) is to use Macromedia/Adobe Flash. Flash is primarily a vector based program and as such every drawing tool be it pencil, brush etc outputs as vectors...give it a go

(another option is Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks which is a very good gfx package..personally I think Flash is a better way to go.)

btw. Why do you need to use vectors? (vector graphics are great for "scalability" ie they dont lose resolution when you re-size them..however there are options in photoshop to preserve quality when you re-size (the high pass filter is your friend ;)

Murf

3. duo8675309

duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    I'm wanting to do a vector layer over a person to make it look like it was drawn (or vectored. i'm not sure of the word, but i think u know what i'm getting at.)

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Ok there are a few ways to do this...first in photoshop duplicate the layer that the person is on (goto "layer/duplicate Layer") next click on the new layer/duplicate layer on the layers pallette in photoshop..now turn off the original layer (click on the "eye" icon in the layers pallette)...with the new layer selected goto image/adjustments/threshold and move the arrow icon left or right to add or subtract black from the image..(use your own judgement for this)..when satisfied click "ok"....now you should have a line art version of your original image.

To go a little further unhide the original picture (click on the "eye" icon) now with the lineart version still selected change the ink to either "overlay or Soft Light" (to do this click on the arrow beside the box that says "normal" on the left hand side of the layers pallette and scroll down)

hope this makes sense..

Murf

5. Depending on the complexity of what you're trying to draw, it may be easier just to draw over the guy in the style you want.

6. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    flash and photoshop already have posterize effects that can do this automatically, but flashes version is better. i do want to chime in though that i love illustrator, in conjunction photoshop. flash is more powerful, but i'd still create my images in illustrator first. it does take practice though, but not like anyone on a musicians message board would know about practice :p