I need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bottomfeedins, Apr 18, 2004.

1. Hi, I asked this question before, but no response. Now it's buried in the pages of threads, so I'll ask this again. I have a Gibson thunderbird and the tone knob is giving me problems. If I tun it all the way down , it snaps and crackles. I can only use it with the tone knob all the way up. Do I need a new pot or something? I took it to get looked at, but they found nothing. Thanks
  2. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Go to a local Radio Shack and purchase some tuner cleaner. Remove the controls access cover (or pick guard which every is applicable) and spray inside the pot (tone control) above the terminal board and work the knob back and forth several times (all the way on, all the way off several times). The pot probably just needs cleaning.
  3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Yep, contact cleaner would definitely be the first thing I'd try. You want to spray it into the little hole in the pot, where the connections are, and then rotate the pot through its range a few times, then let it dry for a few minutes. Then try the pot again, to see if the symptoms have changed or gone away. If not, you'll need a new pot.

p.s. I would find another tech too, if they "looked at it and found nothing" they should be fired.
  4. My guess is is that they only looked at the wire connections and not to see if the pot was real dirty or anything of that sort.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My Godin knob (one of them) was like that. Contact cleaner fixed it.
  6. I'll have to try it. I'm surprised Radio Shack would sell something like that. This bass is my baby and has extra balls with GHS Supersteels. I just need to get that tone knob down. I took it to a new place that just opened up, and they are a Gibson/Taylor/Ampeg dealer :cool:. That's why I brought it there. Well, contact cleaner it is...

Thank Y'all. I'll let ya know how it turns out (if there's any interest) :)!!
  7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    If you go in complaining of a dirty pot, and the first thing they do isn't to spray some contact cleaner into it, they oughta be fired. That's electronics 101. Dirty pots are the single most frequent complaint in musical electronics. That's been consistent throughout the 40 years of my tech experience. Broken elements are very rare. They usually only happen when the pot's been physically abused (like the amp's been dropped or something).
  8. The thing is that I didn't complain of a dirty pot. I only said it was crackling through the amp. But, you're right, they should have checked it out if they know what they're doing. :meh: