I need help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by teprodic, Jun 14, 2004.

1. Hello everyone. Well I recently read some posts here that Speakon connectors were much safer when using high powered amps rather than the standard 1/4 cables. Well I barely purchased an Ampeg SVT 8-10e classic cab and I'm using it with my Hartke 5000. The problem is that the Hartke doesn't seem to have the speakon inputs on the back panel like most ampeg amps do. And well since reading that, I don't want to be using the 1/4's anymore since they aren't really that safe. So I was wondering if theres a cable that has a speakon connection on one side and a 1/4 on the other? Also would this be as safe as using a speakon cable that has both inputs on both sides? One more question, I been running the ampeg at stereo mode which means I been connecting two inputs on it. I notice the back of the ampeg has two speakon connectors, if I get speakons do I connect two different speakons on to both so that I can get the stereo result of are these wired differently that I wouldn't be able to do that? Well thanks everyone ahead of time.
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I dunno about the 'not safe' part... Speakons transfer more of the current, or transfer it more efficiently, than conventional cables, and they are not as likely to pull out inadvertantly... They can also offer more wiring options in a single cable, depending on the connection at both ends and other variables. You certainly won't damage either the head or cab by using 1/4" cables... Folks have been doing it for years!

When using 1/4" speaker cables, one rule of thumb... the beefier the better... I use homegrown 12 ga. cable into Bigfoot 1/4" plugs and get plenty of current transfer and beefy enough low end

3. Safe can mean different things to different people.
    1. Quarter inch jacks can momentarily short out on the socket as you plug them in, so you could damage an amp if you plug into the amp first, and into the speaker last.
    2. Any source of voltage greater than 50 V rms could cause heart failure if you take it across the chest cavity. 50 v rms into 8 ohms is 312 watts, and holding the hot end of a jack plug in one hand, and an earthed bass in the other, will put the voltage across your chest cavity!
    The first line of defence in both cases, is to turn the amp down (preferably off) before you disconnect any speaker cable. The second line of defence is to use a plug with minimal exposed metal.