Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Aug 20, 2000.

1. Hi. I'm new to the whole bass thing. I know how to play, but haven't had enough money to get a bass. I'm in a punk band, and am looking for a cheap beginner bass. $250 and under, not including amps, etc. Cuz im kinda poor being 14 and working with a minimal allowance thing. Anywho, do you have any reccomendations on some good basses? thanks.

-tom

2. There are probably several good choices out there. A Made in Mexico (MIM for short)Fender Precision seems to be around $200 most everywhere and from what the guys in punk bands say it's got what it takes. On ebay there are some basses from a company called Sonica. Not many people have heard of them but they have some very high quality equipment and I haven't seen one go for more than about $175. They are brand new.

Since you are new, you should do a search of the archives of this forum for threads that will answer more questions. This topic has been discussed to here and I'm sure that you will find what you are looking for.

Hey Biski! Can you hook this guy up?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Anyway, if you have $250 to burn, I suggest you get a Squier Affinity P-bass. I played one a while back and I thought it sounded better than the low-end Fenders. They're going for $149 at guitar center now, so if you got one, you'd still have some cash left to start saving up for that combo (one thing at a time, though).

Will C.:cool:

4. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    Oh, you all know what i am gonna reccomend...one of Steve's brothers, of course! Steve is not a human, but a bass...a Hamer Slammer Blitz, to be exact. Price tag: $249 brand new. I think that fits your price range very nicely. I love the Blitz model, and it's the perfect beginner bass.

But if you want me to be impartial...another very good bass is the Squier Standard P-Bass special...i've seen them in musician's friend for $179...buy buy buy! I loved the one i played, but was short on cash...problem is, Squier is stopping the production of them (so the catalog sez...)...so you gotta act really soon if that's what you want.

Either of those two basses will work nicely for you. 'Specially Steveish ones. But...like i said...i'mma partial :)

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Squier P-Bass or Squier P-Bass Special if you want the added jazz pickup. musicians friend has them for under $200. I think the local place here has them for around $210 or something. a MIM Fender P or J used might be around your price range but i'm not sure. play as many basses in your price range as you can & buy the one you like most.

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH

Yo Biski!

Are you aware that someone has hacked into your talkbass account and is pretending to post as you? I mean, look at what I've quoted here! Can you believe someone would have the nerve to come in here and mess with the Bisker by having her pretend to love a Fender product? Sheesh...

Alert the media. Release the hounds!

:)

(Oh, and to Nomadic Herder, it's a good recommendation.)

-GM, proud of our little biski :), and vowing to try the next Hamer he sees

7. Biski2Dope

Biski2Dope

Mar 26, 2000
    lol...

I've swallowed my pride and finally learned to accept basses made by Fender. Hey, it's just a brand name...and if it sounds good...okay, whatever. Glad you're proud of me :D

Seriously though, they ARE nice little basses...

8. alternative roster

alternative roster

Aug 21, 2000
    ask around i found a great deal on a 74 pbass from a old rocker that sold it to me for $300. after i got i checked the value and it turned out to be aroun $1200. great deal great bass great investment. good luck

9. I think on a limited budget a Fender squier would be good. But definatly go for a used bass. You can find a lot of good deals on used basses.

10. I'm guessing totally here...

brand spanking new spectors are about £250 in the UK, so I guess they may be cheaper state side?

There seems to be lots of manufacturers bringing out lower end basses recently and although they guys up there are right: you will get probably get an excellent deal on a 2nd hander, it is real nice buying a brand new one!

good luck - let us know what you go for..