1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need help

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by azfryguy, May 1, 2010.

1. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    My buddy and i are planning to re do his cheap walmart esque guitar and the first thing we are gonna do is get the old finish and paint off now i heard the best way to do that is to use a rotoary sander or belt sander is that correct? Also once we have gotten all the paint and finish sanded off what is the next step sand it to a fine grit or put grain filler or paint it i have zero idea so ya please help

Title edited by mod

2. NoahKnapp

NoahKnapp

Jul 13, 2009
    Use a heat gun and scraper. Just google heat gun paint removal. Sanding will take forever with one of those tough poly finishes.

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    Mental Retardation is an illness and should not be used as a slang. This thread should be moved to the "Two guy's wasting peoples time" forum.

4. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    i take it you have never seen the hangover trust i would never try to offend anybody im truly sorry if i did

5. bronzehydra

bronzehydra

Oct 14, 2008
    Mukilteo, WA
    Yeah, watch what you say. My brother is autistic
    And I have seen the Hangover

6. __HM__

__HM__

Aug 28, 2008
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Touchy people/semi offensive topic titles aside, I'd recommend a heatgun/scraper, followed by a rotary sander/old fashioned elbow grease sanding if it has a wood sealer under the finish. Do NOT use a belt sander, as it can sand unevenly, leaving grooves in the wood.

7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Speaking from the experiences of my teen years, if you're going to try refinishing or repainting something and you have zero idea, I'd just take the guitar and chuck it in the trash right now. It'll save the hours of hard work stripping, sanding and repainting before you screw it up and chuck it in the trash.

On the other hand, if you get yourself a book about refinishing (or, if you're painting it, a book about prepping and painting cars). If you don't have the patience to read through them, and work on a few scrap pieces first,I can promise that you won't have the patience to get a decent finish on your guitar.

8. azfryguy

azfryguy

Feb 2, 2010
    Queen Creek AZ
    classic british humor haha but what book probably something from stew mac

9. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Google is your friend...