Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need info on IBANEZ

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JDBJJJP, Sep 18, 2000.

1. JDBJJJP

JDBJJJP

Mar 3, 2000
    I am thinking rght now about getting a new bass. I play a mexican jazz bass right now and i have to say that it has lost it's luster. I was thinking about some of the Ibanez models i saw in the current musician's friend. don't remember moldel no. s but if you have one and you like it drop me a line an tell me the ins and outs. Is the intonation good on the 24th frets? is the construction solid? They all seem to have active electronics, are they good systems? Anything would be helpful.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    With today's computer-manufactured necks and bodies, you won't find incorrect frets anymore. Pickups and electronics are ok, too - considering the price.
    The problem is the quality of the wood. With those high production numbers it's hard to maintain a consistent level of sound quality. So be sure you actually play the bass you want to purchase or else chances are quite high you get a lemon.

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I play an 86 Roadstar II and love it. I've picked up some newer Ibanez basses and didn't care for them as much. As with many, the higher end models will make you happier, but then you can look at lots of other brands to compare.

4. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    Ibanez SDGR's are pretty good in my opinion. However the players who use them and sound cool probably get them specially made out of other woods. I mean, basswood? please.
    Personally, i love my ESP LTD B-305. its keen...

5. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Only the SR800 and 885 are made out of Basswood.
    Maple is the choice for the rest, unless specified.

6. bassjones

bassjones

Sep 19, 2000
    There are many better basses than Ibanez, however I don't think you can buy as low priced an instrument that has the same quality. I play an Ibanez SR406. For a sixer it has it's short comings, although for the price I do not complain, but rather adjust my playing to say a less than perfect B string. I have played Yamaha TRBs and even a $3500.00 F bass sixer and these basses were fantastic with great playability and sound, however they were very expensive, especially the F bass. Ibanez basses sound good, not great, but they do they're job well as affordable workhorse instruments.
    Regards,
    Paul

[Edited by bassjones on 09-19-2000 at 01:21 AM]

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Ibanez basses are built in the Cor-Tek factory in Korea.
    Cort basses are made in that factory, and many other brands too.
    Conclusion. Get a Cort.
    hehe
    I would pick a Tobias Toby Pro instead an Ibanez SR400 or 500 Series, you get a lot more bass, and better constructed too.

8. appley52

appley52

Sep 19, 2000
    I recently got an ibanez sr885 5 string and i love it. As far as the "basswood" construction goes, it is light, but has a solid feel to it. Nice for percussion playing, can simply get the nice clicky sound of KoRn, or the deep sound of Staind. All in all i would recommend to all.

9. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have an Ibanez Sr885, What I like about it is the slim neck, I have yet to find a 5 string even a 4 that has that slim of a neck. What I dont like about it is, that its very light, lacks in sustain, and the sound qualities are seriously lacking compared to other bass guitars in the same price range. Im not saying it doesnt have a good sound mind you but for the money they charge for them now they shouldnt sound as hollow. The B string has a very weak sound in my opinion. I blame most of this on the basswood body. What were they thinking making a bass out of such a light wood.
    I totally agree with bassjones, about the price and quality on the Sr400 series. For the money those are pretty reliable guitars.

10. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    Look around for a mid 80's Ibanez Musician bass if you can find one.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Cass, I believe it is definitely the basswood, I have an SR506 with a maple body, and the B string is much fuller sounding than any basswood Ibanez. Granted, it doesn't sound as good as the B on my Pedulla 5, but the Pedulla cost over twice what the Ibanez did.

Maple bodied Ibani:)D) are pretty good basses for the money, the basswood models I've played are weak sounding in comparison.

12. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I'm thinking about to get a new bass too, and yesterday I looked around in the music store and found an IBANEZ BTB PRESTIGE 1005 . It's 5 strings (they have 4 strings too, BTB1000), 3 pcs maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body core, FLAME MAPLE back and top, and 3 bands EQs with switch for mid range. It also have a neutric locking output jack. I gave it a try, and it's VERY VERY GOOD SOUND AND FEATURES. It's about $1000 so I have to save up a little more xp

13. embellisher

Wise choice there, Jaybirdthreeber!

Those BTBs kick @$$!

I would have considered one of them when I bought my Rapture, if I could have found one around here.

14. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Yup, BTB is a good bass

But, today I visit another music store and found an Alembic Epic 5 string on sale for only $1200 it should be about $1900 or more. Now I begin to be confused. Which one better ???

15. embellisher

That is obviously not Alembics top of the line, but I would jump on that. It is a great bass at that price.

But the choice is yours, not mine. Play both of them for a good while, preferable more than 1 time, matter of fact, A/B them, then go back a couple of days later and do it again, make sure you play them through your rig or a rig similar to it.

You will be the one who can decide which is for you, after having done this.

Good luck!

:D

Either way, you'l be getting a fine bass, which is :cool:

16. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    Thanks embellisher :)

I'll try them again, meanwhile I'm still saving to buy one of them hehehehe

17. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I have an Ibanez EX Series 5-string. I have no clue where it came from since I've NEVER seen another one. It is good, but the electronics could be better. They're just passive EMG Selects. Not bad. The BTBs kick hard! I like the trip strings you can find on some and I really like the Mono-Rail Bridge. That's probably my favorite bridge. The soundgears are pretty good. Also, try the Ergodyne series. Those are pretty sweet as well.

18. Wes I AM

Wes I AM

May 27, 2000
    Tampa, FL
    If you want an Ibanez, I'd get a Prestige Soundgear. That is, if you want their best bass, IMO. The Prestige 3005 bass is one of the best looking and sounding basses i've played. I love the body shape, and its made of a much better wood than the other SDGRs. Great B string too. The BTBs are great for their price I just hate their body style. The Prestige Soundgear 3005 is a baddass bass!