Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need information on GK700Rb or 1001RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve_man, May 17, 2002.

1. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I'm thinking about going with either a GK combo or going with a GK head and a aguilar GS112

any history with any of this stuff preferrably the GK would be very useful

one of the big questions that I do have is about the versatility of the GK:

-Transoprtation Wise
    -If I were to have a 300 watt cab and add a new 300 watt cab what would be enough power not to clip the two cabs
    -the quality of components on GK stuff
    -and the tone it produces with its own cabs and what it's like on other cabs

Thanks for your time

2. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a GK1001RB head that's about a year old. It has plenty of power, and sounds good. It's a clean style sound rather than a fat sound.

I use mine as backup now, since I have a QSC PLX1602 setup which sounds somewhat more punchy and clean, but the difference is not really all that dramatic.

I have mostly used my GK with a Peavey 410TXF, a combination that sounds good. (That particular cab, the big recent model that weighs 95 lbs, is one of Peavey's better products, IMHO.) The GK also sounds good with two Epifani T-112s. Both of these setups are 4 ohm loads. The GK is notably less punchy with an 8 ohm load, and is not rated for 2 ohms.

It works fine with one T-112, too, just not as punchy. I would think a GK700 or 1001 with an Aguilar GS-112 would be a nice rig.

3. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    If I were wanting that fat tone and was to get a tubed preamp and stick it in the effects loop would I get that extra fat tone?

maybe it was just me but the GK didn't seem coloured so I'm just wondering now if I were to add a bit of tubeyness to it would I have created a mess or something that's a little more sweet to the ears?

4. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i have had nothing but bad expierences with g/k
    ive had an 800rb that never worked right and a 400rb that did nothing but hiss..had it serviced from a g/k dealer 250.00 later it still didnt work ..i tried to take it back and they said we only guarentee for 30 days..so i bought an ampeg and lit the g/k on fire at a gig..but then again i hear there real work horses..just my expierence

5. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I used to own a gk-400rbIII and thought it was very clean sounding and loud. Probably the most volume of any other amp in that price range. It had a bit of hiss, but had tons of clarity.

6. Ive got a 700rb right now...& i am trading it in soon...
    not b/c it didn't sound good (it does!) & i love the protability(17lbs!) its just that i want more headroom as the rooms we are playing are getting bigger.......
    I also think the bi-amp feature GK advertises soo much is Overrated unless u r recording.....not much value in live situations...IMO..
    Scott

7. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Do you know what cabs other than GK have this feature?

I may be recording this summer or sometime in the next year

8. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hey everyone!

My name is Trip and I work for GK. To answer your questions I will do it like this: To get the biamp feature you must use the GK cabs. The purpose and idea of this feature is to separate the two so that when the "woofer" speakers are overdriven the tweeter stays clean. It works like a charm. Really does. I am a former Bag-End user. If you want to know about the quality of the components; They are all top-notch. Very little soldering and connected with Molex type connectors. If you were to take a peek under the hood you would find things to be very clean. In my opinion the only other cabs I would use with our heads would be a Glockenklang or Bag-End. I hope this helps. Happy playing!!

9. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hello all!

Trip from GK again. To answer the "tube" fellow: I use the Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I have had this thing since 1994. Great unit. User-friendly. Hope this helps!!

Regards,
    TRIP

10. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Trip hey I was on your web page a while back. A little weird because I was thinking when I read stuff off of your web page that getting to chat with this guy would strike an interesting conversation.

Hey I like your opinions. Looks I may be headed for a 400RB 210 combo.

I didn't like the 210 RBH cabs. I really didn't like the tweeters. Sounded honky rather than briliant.

but I've been told that the 210RBS cabs where they don't have the tweeter they'd give a tone that might be more preferable to my taste. Plus I really like the quickness of the GK heads.

Right now I do have a sans amp bass compactor. I really like it. It gives my bass a much nicer tone. Even though this pedal gives clean boost the MOSFETs give a little warmth.

if you have any other comments Please by no means hold back!

11. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I picked up a GK1001 head as a backup and it sounds great. It is very clean and loud. I ran it thru 2 Aguilar 112's but I then traded the Aguilars for a Bergantino 3-10 . The Gk sounded great thru both but the Bergantino 3-10 really throws out the volume. This cab really projects with a clear smooth tone.

12. I'm sorry Trip, but I take issue with your assertion that GK components are all top-class. I once had to remove a handle from a new series 4x10, and was horrified to find the cab was made of chip-board. To my mind, top class means birch or baltic ply, not chip board. The screws holding the handle on just tore right out of the chip board. (I call it chip board, I'm not sure what you call it in the US)

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    This topics of GK tone, quality, and volume have been covered in a number of previous threads. A search of the forum will yield a lot of info. you'll find the opinions range from one extreme to the other. Apparently, several people have had bas experiences with GK heads, especially the older 2000rb model.

I've used a 1001rb for about 3 years and it's a great amp. I've also owned a 1970s 400B, and later a 400rb & 800rb. I've never had any problems.

On the topic of tube tone, I understand that you can use the boost control in get a tube tone. I emailed GK about this and a guy named Alvin in the Engineering Dept. responded and said that the Boost control is designed to give you more even-order harmonics which is what a tube does when driven hard. They use JFET transistors which, when biased correctly, can give you the same even-order harmonics that a tube produces without the bulk and hassle of tubes. The boost control gives you more of a tube-style growl along with more tone and volume since it is an extra stage of gain. I'm sure the suggestions mentioned in this thread will work well too.

Hey Trip, do you know this Alvin in Engineering?