Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need intonation help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by swassguy, Jan 7, 2001.

1. This weekend I have mastered the soldering iron, learned how to read wiring diagrams, installed new pickups and shielded my J Bass.

Now I've got my new strings on and my intonation is out of whack!

I've heard a few different things about changing the intonation and a few things on how you know when you've got it right, but so far I Know I'm not there.

Does anybody have any tips or know of a place on the net that can help out?

Thanks,
    Chuck

2. The harmonic at the 12th fret should be the same frequency as the fretted 12th fret note on each string. If they are obviously not the same notes, then the intonation is out, and even if they sound like the same note, they may still be not set right and the difference is so slight you don't pick up on it. Or at least that's true for me.

To to do it better than that (correctly), all you need is a good tuner, I think. :D I hadn't got one, so I have yet to do it.

But I think it goes something like this:
    Tune up the bass EADG. Adjust the bridge saddles so that the string is tuned, and the fretted 12th fret note is also in tune, and the 12th fret harmonic is in tune. It's tricky 'cause each adjustment reacts to the other one. You move the bridge a little , now you gotta re-tune the string using the tuning head, now the bridge isn't right any more, and on and on til you hit it.

Somebody pipe up if I'm unknowingly spouting off garbage here; intonation is not exactly my area of expertise. :D

Chris

3. I figured it out!

Thanks a lot.

I'm feeling really sure of myself and a little adventurous so I might even try to adjust my truss rod... hmmm...

Why do you have to wait a day to see any results? SHould I do it without strings on, or can I do it while it's all tuned up?

I decided that I needed to know exactly how to do everything related to my bass, so I've jumped right in.

Chuck