1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need low impedance pickups? or preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Twice19, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    I'm clueless. how do I attain low impedance, no noise, no hum with single coil pickups on an active bass for use with digital effect pedals..., but can be switched to passive and have more traditional classic tone?

2. I've just deleted my first response, because I think I misunderstood your post... So you have a jazz bass or something with singles, and you want to use effects that have a low input z?

I'm not sure I follow your question...

3. If I’m understanding your question, single coils can and probably will hum whether low or high impedance. Good shielding and grounding is the first step to making them as quiet as possible.

If that’s not what you were asking, go on to the next response...

saabfender likes this.
  4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    What problem are you trying to solve?

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Simply, you cannot. There will always be a compromise. But you can get good enough results, depending on what exactly you really want.

The most practical solution imo is to use a split coil pickup designed to sound like a single coil (eg, many split Jazz pickups imo do that well enough), as that will get rid of the hum and give you a good traditional tone. Pair those with a preamp, which will give you modern tones and low impedance output. Make sure it’s switchable to passive, so you can get those traditional tones out.

But you probably don’t need the active electronics to use digital effects - most that I’ve seen work fine (if not better) with passive electronics.

saabfender and Twice19 like this.
  6. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    is installing a ghost coil to a standard single coil pickup difficult?. would a luthier have to rout out more space?

7. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    You’d have to have somewhere to mount the ghost coil, yes, and that would likely involve routing. But that’s not exactly “difficult”.

Again, what problem are you trying to solve?

8. sikamikanico

sikamikanico Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Difficulty of installation depends on the size, shape, and position of the ghost coil. Some put it under the pickup, some between the pickups, some around the pickup, and others next to the pickup... AFAIC, to be effective, it has to be on the same plane as the active coil, and relatively close.

I read Audere used to make a preamp with a noise-cancelling coil. I assume it was designed for Jazz pickups, and probably a drop-in installation... I don’t know how well it worked or if they still make them, but might be worth looking into.

But I agree with ctmullins, it would help to be more specific regarding what you want/need. There may be many ways to get there, and some ways are easier than others...

9. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Noise reduction/elimination. I play in a theatre pit, and the noise is causing issues.

But I don't want humcancelling pickups. I like the tone of Lollars and Klein Epics - with an active, flat response, buffer pre-amp.

10. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Thanks, that’s helpful. But there are so many aftermarket pickups on the market that there are likely some hum-cancelling pickups available in the tone you’re looking for. That would be a preferable alternative to a dummy coil arrangement, in my opinion.

What size pickups? J, soapbar, ...?

saabfender likes this.
  11. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    J
    I think the Aguilar HC are pretty decent, but Klein epics and lollars sound so silky

12. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    Not sure what “silky” sounds like, but one option would be to contact Lollar and/or Klein and ask if they make hum-canceling versions of your favorites.

(Edited for spelling - it’s autocorrect’s fault)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  13. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Silky is smooth. No rasp like fralins have.

Will do.

Also I'm looking for a diagram it blueprint of what a dummy coil would look like

14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

A dummy coil would look very much like a pickup coil without a magnet. That’s all it basically is.

There was a company in the UK called Ironstone that was doing something with retrofittable dummy coils I stumbled on awhile ago.

Link for the page is here. Info on the dummy coil is further down on the page. Fuller discussion about it can be found here. But I don’t know where they are with things as of right now. Might be worth sending them an email.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    saabfender likes this.
  15. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Having all the HC Jazz pickups in the world to choose from doesn’t seem limiting to me. Are you one of those “glass 3/4 empty” kinda guys? Not judging but it sounds like you’re making the quest for a solution much harder than needs be.

16. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Nah, I just like Epic 62, and Lollars a lot.

17. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    Thanks.

18. ctmullins

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    By the way, what kind of noise are you experiencing? There are two types: 60hz hum (fixed by using hum-cancelling pickups) and electrostatic buzz (fixed by proper and thorough shielding). Using a dummy coil or hum-cancelling pickups won’t fix electrostatic buzz.

19. Twice19

Twice19

May 27, 2018
    hum, and depending on where I am - electrostatic.

ctmullins likes this.
  20. Theater dimmers? Ugh.

Are you sure the noise is at your bass?
    If so have you considered shielding?