I need Merengue!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by leanne, Mar 6, 2004.

1. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I'd like some examples of merengue tunes please.

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Marie Calendar is known for her great Merengue... Especially the lemon...
  3. Hi, try finding some songs by Juan Luis Guerra and his band 440, his got an excellent bass player. Nice bass lines.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Alex Wilson, who is based in the UK, but who lived in the Domican Republic, is a bit of an expert on Merengue - my band commissioned him to write some tunes and he wrote us a Merengue tailored to where we live in Brighton and the South Coast - called "La Playa" - the beach!! ;)

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Juan Luis Guerra is one of the very most important artists in the merengue style, if not THE most important merengue practitioner. You might also want to check out Las Chicas del Can, a sexy all women merengue group and even Los Ilegales who have a rap/merengue fusion that has been very popular. I really liked some of their earlier work, but haven't been able to connect with the most recent, but that is just my taste. Olga Tanon is "La reina del merengue", the queen of merengue.

Some others worth mentioning are Sergio Vargas and Ramon Orlando. For a slightly different style of merengue check out Patrulla Quinze. I say different style, because merengue is a dynamic genre that is constantly evolving, expecially as other nationalities besides Dominicans adapt the music.