I need mo' money!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by notduane, Dec 23, 2000.

1. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Up until recently (before I found the TB forums) I spent most
    of my time online droolin' at the Warmoth Thrift Shop.
    I popped over there a few minutes ago to see if they'd
    updated their inventory. I should also mention that I'm a big fan
    of the K.I.S.S. rule (Keep It Simple & Stupid) when it comes
    to basses: one pup, passive, "tone is in the touch", fretless (no lines!), etc.

Anyhoo, I mosey on over to the Thrift Shop and what do they have?
    A couple of unfinished Tele "slab" bodies, routed for a
    Gotoh 206 and string through. One's Swamp Ash and
    the other is Ash (6 lbs. 8 oz. :eek: ). A simpleton's dream!
    The only hard part would be decidin' which single-coil pup to drop in.
    I know of five ~ 3 from Seymour Duncan and 2 from RioGrande.

Now my dilemna...I put my credit cards deep into the red
    gettin' a Pignose tube head and Dean Rhapsody HBF for Xmas.
    Ah well :( . There'll be other Tele slabs at the Thrift Shop :) .

They've also got a real purty J neck in the Thrift Shop.
    The board is ebony and the neck is somethin' called "Ziracote" :confused: .

Swamp Ash Body ~ http://www.warmoth.com/B57.htm
    Ash Body ~ http://www.warmoth.com/B58.htm
    Z/E Neck ~ http://www.warmoth.com/BN103.htm
  2. Damn, I see something like that and realize that I could make bodies like that all day long for about $125. I have to wonder if I couldn't make a go of this CAD/CAM thing with the right frame of mind.

Just ponderin' - I'm not there yet...

By the way, that neck is beeuuutiifull!
  3. notduane

Nov 24, 2000

PLEASE let me know if you do! I gotta' believe that you
    already got a leg up on Warmoth. Huh?. When I wrote
    asking about a 35" 4-string neck, they said somethin'
    like, "...I don't even have a template for that...".
    Templates? Do they even have a CAD/CAM setup? Hmmmmm. ;)

[Edited by notduane on 12-24-2000 at 08:09 AM]
  4. Oh, they probably have an extensive CAD/CAM operation there. Likely as large as Fender or some of the other makers. With all of the woods and styles that they offer, I imagine that they have at least 1000 times more capability than I could ever muster.

The only advantage that any of my stuff would ever have over Warmoth is that it would be easier and cheaper to make something custom. When you're in the high production business, it's difficult to just shut it down for custom jobs. Then again, they may have a seperate smaller operation for the custom stuff. It would certainly be easier that way.

The template they are referring to is likely the master used in pantographing identical copies. It is an easy matter to calculate the fret positions - I've got a free computer program that does it - but the neck shape would be where the time(money) is spent. But, as I think about it, it shouldn't be all that hard to just stretch a neck design the additional 1" to make your 35" scale. As usual, I'm likely wrong on this point :)

5. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Hambone...Go for it!

35 inch scale (or others) is no big deal, just use a chart or the "Rule of 18" (it's actually the Rule of 17.817) to calculate the fret positions.

Fretless makes it even easier.
  6. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Whoa there Mr Rumblin' Man! I have no doubt Mr Hambone
    could knock out a 35", 4-string fretless neck with one nut
    file tied behind his back. Problem is, my credit rating
    is currently in I.C.U. in critical, but stable, condition.
    I, for one, couldn't throw down for that.

When I do get the wherewithall to start puttin'
    together a "dream slab", I think I'll go to Mr Hambone.
    The folks at Warmoth have a great selection, but in the
    email exchange I had with `em, they were pretty da** rude.
    Made me think they're all gui***ists. I mean, look at their
    listings ~ umpteen zillions of gui**r bodies and necks then,
    like an afterthought, BASS stuff :mad:
  7. Well, thanx for the vote of confidence there notduane.

I'm very new to this whole luthiery thing but I bring skills that will help with getting what I want without having to go to the big boys for it. This first bass I've just completed has taught me volumes about the process and from that, maybe just maybe, I can do something commercial. To be honest, the whole neck construction thing sort of scares me a little bit. Though I know it's part of the learning process, I would hate to put in 20 hours on a neck that winds up being totally unsuitable for use. Of course I would only discover this after completing it, bolting it on, and stringing up the bass :( It's sort of strange, when I hear myself saying something like that last sentence, it sort of chips away at my trepidation. I guess I just have to talk myself into it.
  8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    "Hambone Guitars and Bases"

Has a nice ring to it, don't you think?

H - everyone starts small. One instrument at a time. The first time I carved a neck I was truly clueless. I just took a maple slab then cut, filed, and sanded away everything that didn't look like a neck. Turned out OK, not perfect but OK. It soon became an all involving hobby. My only regret is that I didn't pursue it professionally. Maybe after the kids are out of school and I retire.

You seem to have the desire, why not give it a shot?

9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO-GO !!! [​IMG]
    Sorry. Been watchin' football all day :p .
  10. Hey guys, here is the latest object of my desire...

Hambone Custom Bass Serial #0001 :)

I've got enough wood from the original slab to either
    1) build another 2 piece body
    2) split/bookmatch for top halves to 2 additional bodies
    3) carve a couple of necks

...so I've got a coupl'a options.

11. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Homer S. in 3-D ~ "Holy Macaroni!" [​IMG]

Where the HE** did you find that fine a tiger piece? [​IMG]
    Metal control plate cover? [​IMG]
    Bada** Bridge and through-body stringing? [​IMG]

Nahhhh, you ain't ready [​IMG]
  12. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Now we're talkin'

I'm not sure about the particular piece of wood you have but flame maples can be a bit unstable for use as a neck, depends on the individual piece though. If it's hard maple then it'll probably be OK, YMMV.
  13. I've seen several flame maple necks and the figure runs across the width of the board. That's how my lumber is oriented so it might work. Thanx for the heads up. As for soft or hard maple, it's sort of strange you asked. When I bought the board, the lumber company has this type of maple listed as "soft" and prices it accordingly (less than hard). You could have knocked me over with a feather! And I'll tell you, if this is soft, I don't want to work with the hard stuff any time soon!

notduane, I got this piece at a local hardwood yard that is in a little community just north of Atlanta. I had been to large local suppliers and all of the websites of the big suppliers and even companies that would sell small amounts to hobbyists but wasn't really excited by their offerings. Either they were way over the top for their figured maple ($600 for a AAAAA maple guitar blank) or the board dimensions were small and I would have to make a real "composite" body. I had just about resigned myself to that end when I found this piece. I asked the yardman if they had anything with a bit more figure and he says :in best "Deliverance" drawl: "Yep, we pulled that there out of the pile yestiddy" and he pointed to this 11' long piece leaning against the wall. I took one look and just about to peed my pants with excitement. It was 8" wide and 2" thick with visible flame along both sides and edges. I 'bout broke a leg getting back into the office to find out what they wanted for the piece. When the clerk told me that it was only $58 with tax, I couldn't write the check fast enough. Only about 18" was unusable because of some spalting. The remainder is sittin' and waitin' ;)

The metal coverplate was machined at the same time as the electronics cavity. I may keep it as is but am considering doing an "engine turn" finish on the surface. That's what I usually do with these things. It's a piece of .100" 5000 series aluminum. It works well as an interference shield too.
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hey, Hambone, that spalted might make a nice 1/2" top on alder or ash, if there is enough of it.