Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need more growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Llama's Rage, May 5, 2005.

1. Right now I'm using a Peavey TNT 115 and this thing just sounds like a garbage can. It's loud, but it has like no tone whatsoever.

Any ideas what I could get that actually has a nice sound with lots of growl? I play fretless and the amp I have currently makes it sound like poop, i have mwah but I want MWAHRAWRGROWLDOOMDEATHKILL. Know what I mean?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Nope, not a clue.

3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    You probably want smaller speakers in your cab(s), or at least higher quality big ones. Try out a few cabs with 10s at the music store. I've always liked 10s (or 12s) for fretless and on the average they'll have a lot less 'boom' and more 'definition' than a 15. Don't write off all 15s for this reason, but a lot of budget-midrange 15" cabs are mud city when it comes to playing live. Also, using two cabs instead of one can do wonders to the clarity of your sound, so there may be a 210, 410, 112 etc, that you'll like the sound of next to your TNT15

4. Its hard to get a growl, as you say, out of the peavey tranny amps, but ive managed it a few times on my firebass, just its not that amazing (where the sansamp came in :p)

I think you definatly need to try some 10" 's tho

5. so i assume the way to go is head/cab and not combo (what I have now)

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Stacks are almost always better as they allow you to tune a specific head to the most appropriate cabs for your sound. However there are probably ways to get more growl from the amp you had. While not the greatest amp in the universe I found my TNT to be quite versitile and functional.

Some things to try: first turn off the low boost thingy, that will muddy the sound a great deal. Second make sure you have the bright switch in, and the the graphic doing a nice mid boost curve. Set both shelving knobs to 12 O'Clock (you might want to boost the highs a little, like 1-2). Now run the preamp gain knob up around 8-9, with the master down to comfortable volume. While this won't sound like an SVT or anything, it should give you at least an acceptable fretless growl.

Adding a 210 extension cab and a Sansamp would be an even better solution, probably the best you could come up with short of a new amp.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Peavey TKO's are kind of dead sounding. Not bad amps, I happen to love the one I use at school for "vintage rock" and swing band stuff.

Perhaps adding a chorus pedal would thicken up and give you a little more meat to your sound.

8. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    what TPlyons said is true. A chorus pedal will help, adjust the setting to be subtle. Another pedal that will help with your Peavey's tone is another pedal that Tplyons, myself and a few other Talkbassers are familiar with, the dod 250od/preamp. It's a great pedal and when used with the chorus pedal it gets interesting. When used by itself it will add a bit of "grit". The best part is both pedals are inexpensive. I use the dod 250 od/pa, and a dod fx 65 with my Nitrobass and I like the results

9. oh, i intend on selling the peavey. I as looking more for suggestions of something at a decent price (500-600 dollars or so) that has a nice sound

10. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    ditto on 10's

ditto on sansamp

I use an Ampeg B2R with a 2x10 cab with a fretless jazz bass and a sansamp and really like the tone.

I do also use a SWR WM12 when they are smaller gigs or ones where I am playing both DB and porkchop. You can make larger speakers work. You can make combos work. You just need to be careful about the amp you choose. Many amp manufacturers go for bone-rattling bass, which is cool, but sometimes sacrifice tone.