Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need more growl!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Aug 21, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    ive done some searching and i cant figure this out. i have a g/k set up and a fender j bass fretless (ive had it set up by a bass tech) and i want more growl and i am confused wich one would be better for me. i play mostly my own jacoish/rush fretless music.
    DiMarzio's Ultra Jazz
    DiMarzio's Model J
    also whats the difference????

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Of those two, I would select the Ultra's. I highly suggest you look into the pickups from Nordstrand before you buy. I use them.

-Mike

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    THe NJ4SE? Or w/e is supposed to growl like its its job. (Nordstand) I have a pair of Ultra Jazz's, but i havent gotten around to trying them out. Ya I'm lazy...

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That is what I went with. The NJ4SV's kick butt too.

-Mike

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Am I wrong on this or doesn't growl come from the fingers? Because I could swear there used to be a day when people used technique to make sound changes.

6. You aren't wrong in that most noticeable tone differences come from where you are plucking, how you are plucking and how your left hand is working the frets. Also strings are a HUGE component to this.

And for things like "growl"...I've found that amplifiers and amplifier settings are a great contributor as well. I once played the same spector through two different amplifiers and it sounded COMPLETELY different, as far as that "growl" component was concerned.

Not to say that pickups aren't a major contributor, too. They are...everything works together.