Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need more help...again

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Im sorry, I must single handely waste the most space on this thread. But I've decided, I need to make up my mind right now.

Im going to list all the basses I've considered buying in the past month or so, and I need negitives and positives on all of them. So here they are

Standard Fender P Bass, upgraded with Seymore duncans.

Fender 1962 Reissue

Musicman Sterling

Musicman Sterling SUB

Fender Highway 1 P - Bass

I think thats it. Just diffrent color variations, but that doesn't matter right now.

Anyways, my biggest, and I mean BIGGEST, problem with picking a bass is, that I always get all OCD about not dinging my bass up. And than I never want to spend X amount of money to buy whatever bass, and instead want to buy a squier or something stupid and not worry about ruining it. I know my logic is completely stupid, but im OCD when it comes to this stuff.

This is why I think the SUB would be the best choice for me, but I love the way the fender P basses look, white with tort pickguards. I really dont know what im gonna do.

The only thing I can think of, is buy the SUB, and use that for everything, becuase the finish is bomb proof, kinda...and than buy the 62 reissue as a collectors item, if you will. Just so I can look at it, and play with it in the saftey of my house.

I dont know, I need your input guys. And I fixed my profile.

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've really got nothing to say other than, no, you're not OCD about it. You're most likely merely anal about it, or at worst obsessive. Neither constitutes OCD. You can't be OCD "about" something.

...aaaand I'm out.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Get the one that sounds and plays best to you.

4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    Buy the '62 Reissue and play the hell out of it. I mean dig in and play your @ss off. It's a reissue for crying out loud.

After all, what's the point of owning an instrument if you can't enjoy it?

5. +1

i used to be anal too. but after a ding or two, you just have to get over it and take care of it the best you reasonably can. then just "play the hell out of it" like it was said earlier.

6. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hmmmm, I know you guys are all right. But your teachings are still not sinking in. They will soon enough, hopefull right before I have enough money to buy the bass so I dont revisit this time of my life, and have to start over again.

Its not fair though, my bass, I try to take care of it, and yet its still dinged up and whatever, but my brother, doesn't even transport it with a gig bag, leaves it laying on the floor, dogs walk all over it, etc... there are only scratch's on it, and 2 minor minor dings.

I dont know....I just dont know.

Edit - well somehow, all your advice has sunk in, 2 and a half minutes later I said it wouldn't for a long time. And I think what im going to do, is buy the Fender Standard in white, black pickguard, seymore duncan quarter pounder. And Than see how that bass holds up, seeing as it will only cost 500, 1000 less, give or take, than the '62. And if It holds up nicely, in a year I'll get the '62.

Than again, knowing how frequently I change my mind, who knows.

The only other solution to this problem, Im buying an amp monday, Its gonna run me about 2200 dollars. Now It is the amp of my dreams, if I had it, never ever ever would I complain about it, But for right now I dont need the SVT-CL/810. So I could bassicly get a cheaper amp and than buy the fender tommorow too.

The only thing about that, im worried I'll bitch about the amp im gonna get instead, and want to return it or sell it or something. Im extremly anal I guess, about everything when it comes to bass and amps.

I dont know, thats something I have to think about I guess. I still want your imput on it though.

Thanks alot guys, your really helping me out here.
    Sean

7. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Supporting Member

May 1, 2000
    SLC, UT
    As far as amps go, if you have the money, I'd get exactly the amp you want right now. I wasted a lot of money trying to settle for something I didn't really want until I finally got what I did.

I'd do the same with the bass as well. While I share in your obsession about keeping my basses nice, The Fender reissues actually look cooler the more they are used. After five years I've started to wear through the finish on my '57, and it looks really cool. I wouldn't trade it for a new one for anything.

Good luck!

8. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I've figured everything out. Im gonna get a white with black pickguard, and use that as my main bass, get a blue one and keep it as my back up. Both standard models with seymore duncans. And I could even get a third, white with tort, and a seymore, and those 3 would only cost a few hundred more than the 62. And I woke up this morning somehow, so things are good.