Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need more output but...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by syciprider, Sep 28, 2005.

1. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I also want to preserve that brittle, clear as glass tone of a passive Jazz.

My SX can barely drive my Frantone Fuzz. Now I want to change the pups. I am very happy with the tone. I just need more signal with resorting to a booster. What the closest match?

Thanks!

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Maybe Seymour Duncan Hot for J-bass. It should retain decent high end, with high output. I use the Hot for P-bass, and even though the treble is pulled back a little from the stock pickup, I'm still turning the treble down most of the time. The more I use it, the more I like it. It's a nice blend of high output with vintage voicing, so maybe the Jazz equivalent is similar.

If you're willing to spend more $$$, Lindy Fralin and Aero are good bets.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

If you change pups I would keep the originals cause you will probably find changing pups will change your tone - though perhaps for the better. You won't know till you do it.

I would raise the pups as high as I could if they're not there already. Doubling distance from the strings will roughly drop output about 60%. Measure them before so you can get them back to original if desired.

My first thought is if you have to resort to another pup or booster to get more output, your rigging does not likely meets your needs othewise you would simply turn it up.

Practically any alteration is going to alter tone. Again, it may be for the better - or it may not. Some rigs sound about the same no matter what pups you run through them but as a rule, pups are the last thing I'd change because strings and pups are first in the signal chain - and therefore the foundation of the resulting tone. Tone is harder to come by than volume as a rule as there are lots of ways to get volume once a tone is obtained.

4. I built a preamp for about $10 worth of parts in about 2 hours time, put it in a small project box that is velcroed to my strap, I use a short patch cord to it and then my regular cord to the amp....it gives me about 6db worth of gain, but the sound of the bass is preserved, if anything it is a tad clearer because my cable capacitance is no longer robbing signal from my pickups.

This mod required no changes to my bass whatsoever and I can use it on other basses if I wish.