I need...more power! Amp HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davygravy3, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    Alright, last night our band, along with some other local bands, was putting on a benefit concert for a friend of ours who was killed in a car accident in December. We were in our schools almost new, it is enormous (seats like 1000) and we had a pretty large crowd, 300 something I'd say. Anyway...

I was playing in the sound check and during the show and had a couple problems. I was clipping the whole time, I currently have a Peavey TKO 115 combo amp, about a year or so old. It couldn't begin to compete with my friends guitar amp (has tubes...cool... :D ) the drummer, and the keyboard player through the PA. I couldn't get enough volume, I brought down the lower frequencies to reduce the clipping and turned up the high to get a better bass sound in the auditorium. I have used this amp many times with the school jazz band in the same auditorium and it was fine but the trombones and trumpets aren't playing through amps, most of the time I could overpower the band.

I need more power! Our band has started to become much more serious and better, I feel upgrading to a better amp may be a good idea. I am currently thinking of getting a head and a cabinet. I do not know how many watts I want, or what size cabinet, though I am leaning towards a 4x10 instead of like a 1x15 or 2x10. I figure it will give me the extra boost!

I have looked at heads online and tend to like the Ampegs and SWRs. Should I get a tube or tubeless head? Does it matter that much with a bass? What heads do you recommend? What cabinets? Is it bad to have an ampeg head with a SWR cabinet? Cabinets are rated at a certain "wattage" if I put 400 watts through a 300 watt cabinet...well is that even possible? I want to do this right the first time and do not have to keep buying new equipment. I know that this decision will also be based on what I think sounds better but what do you guys recommend? What will be good for jazz and classic rock? BTW- I play Fender MIM Jazz with nylons/flatwounds if that matters at all....i dont tihnk it does.

The concert was great we raised almost 5000 dollars. Thanks for all your guys help.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do a search for "amp help". You will discover many individuals that have asked the same question, including me at one time. :D

You can also do a search for the brands you listed to get some ideas on others peoples set-ups with those heads. The one bit of advice you will always get is to TRY out something before you buy it. That is the best way to make sure you only have to buy your gear once.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    If there is a PA, you should mike the amp and use that. More power, no cost! Doesn't solve your problem if there is no PA though :(
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Is it school supplied PA? Regardless, I would think that if it is good enough for the keyboard, then the PA should be able to handle a line out from you, or a micing off your TNT 115. You will be surprised how little of you is really needed in the PA to level everything out. Also, ask the people in the audience if they could hear you well enough. Chances are, they heard you better than you heard yourself. If you have good PA, then all you usually use your stage cab for is monitor for yourself, and a 2x10 or 4x10 will allow you to cut though better, but might trade off low end rumble. That all depends on the cabinate.
    Bottom line is if you have a good enough PA to support your bass, then use it, because it is free. The less stuff to carry, the better!
  5. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    The PA used for keyboard was not the schools PA, the only thing they ran through the schools PA was vocals because...i think they didnt have all the equipment necessary. What was the thing about the low end rumble with the different cabinets?
  6. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    What would it be like to take a cabinet...and wire my current amp to it? or can i not do that? Can i run a head into my current amp and use it as a cabinet?
  7. Davygravy3

Sep 21, 2000
    can anyone answer above question?

8. Congrats on the gig!

Now, as to your amp issues........you may wanna think about exactly what you're looking for, how much money you have to spend and what style(s) of music you're gonna be playing.

Also, the power of your amp will be determined by the sounds you're competign with (guitar, keyboards,drums), whether there is a PA for you to use or not....and what you can afford!

I would suggest a head to your liking and a 4 x 10 cab to suit would maybe be a good start.....but as someone else said - putting your amp through the PA is cheaper than all other options!

As to your current amp and adding a cabinet - I'm not sure if there is a speaker extension socket on that amp. If there is, an extra cab will give some more volume - but not a lot. Running another amp into your exisiting speaker wouldn't help - as the speaker will probably only be rated really for the amp section of your combo and not much more!

As far as tube amps, solid state and hybrids go - that can really be a matter of persoanl taset and again - budget! These are things that determine almost everyone's thinking on the ideal or best amp arena!

Might be worth you doing searches on here for those amp you have researched already and liked, there are also reviews on Harmony Central for a lot of stuff - which might help you. Although nothing quite compares to going out and trying some - that way you can see what you like!

Now, assuming that you will get to use the PA, your amp is really a stage monitor for you - but you still want to hear it! You may find that to compete with your guitarist and keyboard player, you may need 300 or 400 watts or more depending on what they're using!