1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need More Power!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    Hey guys. It's been a while since I was over here. I've mostly played Guitar in recent years though I played a Gig this past weekend and have gotten the hots for some Bass Playin.

Anyway I'm looking to do some more Bass Playing Gigs and after my last experience found I may need some more juice if I do any larger events.

I was playing in a small club maybe 100 people inside and found it was all my rig could do to keep up with the loud players I was with.

I currently use an Ampeg SVT3 Pro Head into an Ampeg 4x10 HLF. I have had this set up for a few years and it works fine for rehersal (usually a Bass Player other than my self).

In the past I used a Mesa Bass 400 Plus with a Powerhouse 4x10 and Powerhouse 2x15. Man what a rig that was.

I'm looking to increase my wallop so how do I do this including being most economical.

I can Line out to another Power Amp, I have on hand (QSC RMX 2450 or QSC RMX 850) and get another cab to go into. This would probably get me there easiest. What cab would you stick with what I have?

Or would trash the whole rig and start over? This option would be the hardest to fit in these finacially trying times. I really do have a hankering to play some Bass for a change (I'm kinda in a guitar rut plus guitar players are everywhere and everyone is looking for a Bass Player).

My main reason for wanting to Gigg some is to help supplement my income since the day job is sucking right now.

I dont want to go out and spend a bunch of money but I do want to increase my Fire Power if that makes any sense. I suppose some gigs I can make it with what I have. Maybe I'm over thinking this. I allways have the option of PA but never have liked relying on having a good PA for the Bottom End.

What say you?

2. toytech

toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I would slave the 2450 and add another cabinet. Maybe a 410 avatar.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I should say I mostly play a 4 stringer. Though I am quite ferocious on a good Tobias 6 String, :D for the kind of stuff I do I mostly play a 53 reissue P-Bass.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Yeah-but if you liked the Mesa 15s, why not go back to 15s. You'll move some serious air!

5. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I must interject. If you don't have enough volume with an SVT-3 Pro and 4x10, there must be something wrong. How are you EQing your amp? Are you running the amp flat out or are you adverse to turning it up past a certain level?

6. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1. That should be plenty of rig for most gigs. Leave the Ultra Low switch off, don't boost the bass knob, keep the mids at a high, healthy level, and keep the Level slider on the EQ near max.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Lets see. Those Mesa Bass rigs I've had were indeed awsome. My original rig was a Bass 400 with two of the 1x15 Thiele Road Ready Cabs. I could rock the world with that thing.

Though later using the 400 Plus with the 4x10 and 2x15 was just about as good as it gets.

I am considering running a Mesa 1x15 with say the QSC RMX 850 Bridged. That would give me a considerable amount of Horse Power if I needed it.

I really do like the Sound of the SVT3 Pro.

Jazzman I was loud enough at the small Gig I just played and had just a little wiggle room left with the EQ Level though I had it about 3/4 the way up.

I really dont think my EQ settings were way off or anything. I would have to go look at it to give exact specs but I can give you a general going on memory.

First let me give some background on the unit. It is IIRC about 2 years old. I purchased it new at the local GC not very long ago. It is a USA made unit and has low hours on it. It's dead mint. It's mostly been used when we have had rehersal at my Place and I have it for the incoming Bass Players.

Just wanted to let you know its in tip top working condition.

Anyway I believe I have the Bass and Trebile Boost switches off. My Preamp Volume was on about one oclock with the DB Boost off,(hardly any input clipping unless I really hit it hard) it seems to be less noisy this way even with my passive Bass (finicky preamp tube maybe?).

My Bass knob was on about one oclock, Trebile about the same, the Mid was set for a slight amount of cut and the switch in the second from left position, the Master was Dimed and the Tube Gain was dead on half way. The GEQ was set for just a smidge of boost on the low end and flat a little up from there with a slight boost in the Mids and then flat again with a slight boost in the Highs and finally the Tweeter in my 4x10 HLF was set low (I dont like that clackity clack it lends to with my P-Bass).

I could see how I could have squeezed just a little more by diming the GEQ Level Control and boosting all the Frequencies some more but there wasnt a whole lot left. I dont like the idea of using all an amp has to get me there and this would only be for larger Gigs where PA is an issue.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Also I should say I arrived at my EQ settings with the goal of having smooth volume across the frequency spectrum. I used my ears to get me there. I do not like having tmy lower notes jump out and my higher notes dissappear or vise versa.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    No takers on my settings?:hyper:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021