Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I Need More SHOW UP LICKS!!!!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DrHoondeh, Aug 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHoondeh

DrHoondeh

Jul 6, 2000
    Acton, MA
    I need more licks to impress people with. I have been using mostly Flea stuff such as Aeroplane Verse and Bass solo and Funky Monks and Coffee Shop and Rare Bass Solo and the such. I've also been using some educted stuff like Donna Lee bu im getting sick of them. So i need some real high caliber licks here, tell me the best licks you know. I need names of artists, songs maybe tabs...help is needed.

my band

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    must.......remain.......calm.........uhhh! can't

Get better at bass without trying to "show off" and you'll find that you have so much more under your fingers. If you're bored with Donna Lee, you haven't really learned it. It took Jaco something like 8 years to get that tune the way he wanted it.

But most importantly -

Music is an art form. Not a competition.

3. I know this seems pretty obvious judging by my name and all, but how bout the fast part from 'Pulling Teeth' by Cliff Burton....or 'Sting Of The Bumble Bee' if your fast enough (I'm not)

4. Comakazi

Comakazi

May 3, 2001
    Midwest US
    You know, I think you may have answered your own question there a bit.

You are bored with these "show-off" licks.

That's the thing, if you're doing this all to be able to show off and make people think your cool then you you will get bored of it. And others will probably get bored of it in tim, too.
    Do these licks for the love of MUSIC, man.
    As Pacman said, become a better musician and you WILL have so much more.
    Nobody said it was easy, and it is a life-long lesson.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DRONEtoDEATH,

Listen to Pacman, grasshopper. He holds the key to all great wisdom in this thread and many others. Showing off is a sign of great insecurity. Learn to play well all the time, and gradually you won't care what other people think. THEN, you will have learned....

DURRL

6. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Does this mean I can change my signature? I kind of like "Groove Guru" or "Minister of Funk" :cool: :D

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    what's an educted lick? does that mean that it was some how duct-taped over the internet? sorta like e-mailed? e-ducted?

you know, instead of working on some paltry "licks", why don't you work on some acrobatics with your instrument - that would be much more impressive. see if you can balance your bass on your nose, headstock - down. work on it - that would be _REALLY_ impressive.

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Pardon my French, but screw trying to impress people. Just play the best bass you're capable of. Licks mean nothing in themselves. Music is what matters. If you're still thinking it's about impressing people, you've got a long road ahead of you. Remember Adrian Davison? I didn't think so.

9. I really don't see what the big problem is. I mean, if the guy wants to have a little fun and impress people, what's wrong with that? Sure, it won't make him a better musician, but it's fun. I do it. Most of my practicing time goes towards getting better, but if my friends are around, it's fun to show off a little bit.

DrHoondeh: One of my favourites is Tommy the Cat by Primus. Also, while I disagree with the others this time, these guys know what they're talking about, so listen up. And don't spend all of your time impressing others, get better and impress yourself first.

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Uly - Rather than worrying at all about impressing others, think this: Don't impress yourself, express yourself. (wow - Madonna got it right :) ) If you've really got something to say, others will be impressed.

11. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    heh heh, that was funny. while you balance that bass on your nose, do what Pacman and DURRL said. You can then get good enough to play well with others, which is much more impressive than some noodler who can't stick with a drummer.

12. Just Remember, music is a language so if you can only talk really fast then people won't be able to hear what your sayin'.

I will say that john turners idea is a good one, learning to balance your bass on your nose is what will get you most of your gigs as a bass player, and as a circus freak.

If you want something cool to play, lots of people like cool funk tunes like Silly Putty by Stanely Clarke. And if you want lots of chicks, learn Portrait of Tracy by Jaco.
    Also check out stuff by James Jamerson. Beatles guitar riffs are cool too!

Im lazy and keybaording stinks, so ill quit talking.

P.S. If you are bored with Donna Lee you have issues, try to learn the theory behind the song, you wont be bored the rest of your life!

13. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Hoondeh: Learn some lines Stu Hamm, Billy Sheehan, John Patitucci and Vic Wooten. Them's plenty educted! (OK, Billy can't read music, but still.)

14. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Your Gay!! Make up your own crap.Stop being such a nerd,your whole band is a bunch of freaks.
    :mad:

15. Takes one to know one. People only see in others what they see in themselves. Sally

16. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Your gay too you freak!!

17. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    Arizona
    Ohh, not those gay people! :rolleyes:

That has no place here. This is not meant to be a hostile environment.

18. Guessing your mom said the same thing to you tonight as you shared a TV dinner in your big white trailer.

Sounds like your fart gas is backing up and coming out your mouth.

Hey send me an email with the address of the little world you live in and I will send you something to help you. Please specify which product you want.

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    warning : another violation of the usage agreement could result in your being permanently banned from this site.

oh, and by the way, it's spelled "you're", einstein.

20. Holy Jeeezz. This thread took a bad turn VERY quickly! But funny, cause of Gruff (Master of White-Trash Humor). Heh, I'm still gigling over the Pepto / Baseball bat choice! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.