I need new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by punkr, Jun 20, 2001.

1. punkr

Jun 20, 2001
    I play with a pick and would like your opinions on who makes the best strings. I play a fender p-bass.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass, punkr.

No one makes the best strings, just like no artist makes the best painting or no musician makes the best music.

I used to play punk professionally on a Fender Precis and I used Rotosound Swing 66's. However, back then, DR Hi Beams weren't available and those are about as good as the Rotosounds, IMO, except they last longer. Many of the top pros in rock use either one.
  3. punkr

Jun 20, 2001
    Thank for the info rickbass, i'll keep those strings in mind.
  4. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Rickbass is right on target. You should try a variety of strings til you figure out which ones you like the most. First figure out if you like roundwounds or flatwounds, then if you like stainless steel or nickel, then figure out which gauges you prefer. The brandname is less important than those other issues.
  5. punkr

Jun 20, 2001
    Thanks brewer9, can someone explain the difference between roundwound and flatwound? And I assume that nickel and stainless, being two different metals, give different tones?

6. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    roundwounds are used in the new music you hear on the radio, they give a long bassy sound. Flatwounds are the strings you hear in old jazz music and old 50s stuff. They give a more "thump" sound, like short put a punchy bass.

Personally I use regular (105 - 50) Ernie Ball slinkies. I have yet to try rotosounds, and I think I shall do that next time I get new strings.