1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

i need new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassapprentice, Nov 1, 2001.

1. bassapprentice

bassapprentice

Apr 15, 2001
    PA
    hey....i bought a brand new fender deluxe active jazz bass back in july, and i've been playing with the original strings eversince then, i would really like to put new strings on there, but i just dont know what kind to get.....i want strings that are good all around, i play with my fingers alot more then i do with a pic...and i want strings that sound rich and bold, nothing really bright, i could change the settings to do that...i just want a really good set of strings........thanks alot

john:)

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I like DR Hi Beams. They sound really good without being overly bright. They feel soft and are a pleasure to use. Much easier on my fingers than Rotosounds.

Good luck!!!!

Bill

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hi again,

I forgot to mention that they're supposed to last a long time too...

Bill

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ya can't go wrong with DR's but I'd suggest either Lo-Riders or "Marcus" (Fat Beams). I think Hi-Beams on your G&L would be so bright you'd need sunglasses. They don't call `em "HI-BEAMS" because they're mellow.

Thomastik-Infeld "Jazz" would fit your description, too.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It took me a day or two to get used to my new D'Addario Slowound set, but now I must regard them as my favourite set so far (but I'm yet to play the DR Fat Beams, TI Jazz and Lo-Riders previously mentioned in this thread). Not too bright, but a very consistent feel and rich tone. I recommend a test-drive! :)

6. how do the Marcus Milller Fatbeams sound?

i want a really deep bassy tone without losing the clarity from my highs.

is that what i'm looking for?

(i have an L-2000) :D...i love saying that

7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It sounds like the Marcus could fill the bill for you - shiny highs, big & wide lows because the they excel in the mids.

You'll find a lengthy review I did of them around Feb. of this year in the Talkbass "Reviews" section.

8. Try DR Lo-riders. I have the stainless steel, but the nickle also seem to get alot of recognition.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for D'Addario Slowounds.