i need new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassapprentice, Nov 1, 2001.

1. bassapprentice

Apr 15, 2001
    hey....i bought a brand new fender deluxe active jazz bass back in july, and i've been playing with the original strings eversince then, i would really like to put new strings on there, but i just dont know what kind to get.....i want strings that are good all around, i play with my fingers alot more then i do with a pic...and i want strings that sound rich and bold, nothing really bright, i could change the settings to do that...i just want a really good set of strings........thanks alot

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I like DR Hi Beams. They sound really good without being overly bright. They feel soft and are a pleasure to use. Much easier on my fingers than Rotosounds.

Good luck!!!!

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Hi again,

I forgot to mention that they're supposed to last a long time too...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Ya can't go wrong with DR's but I'd suggest either Lo-Riders or "Marcus" (Fat Beams). I think Hi-Beams on your G&L would be so bright you'd need sunglasses. They don't call `em "HI-BEAMS" because they're mellow.

Thomastik-Infeld "Jazz" would fit your description, too.
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It took me a day or two to get used to my new D'Addario Slowound set, but now I must regard them as my favourite set so far (but I'm yet to play the DR Fat Beams, TI Jazz and Lo-Riders previously mentioned in this thread). Not too bright, but a very consistent feel and rich tone. I recommend a test-drive! :)
  6. how do the Marcus Milller Fatbeams sound?

i want a really deep bassy tone without losing the clarity from my highs.

is that what i'm looking for?

(i have an L-2000) :D...i love saying that
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It sounds like the Marcus could fill the bill for you - shiny highs, big & wide lows because the they excel in the mids.

You'll find a lengthy review I did of them around Feb. of this year in the Talkbass "Reviews" section.
  8. Try DR Lo-riders. I have the stainless steel, but the nickle also seem to get alot of recognition.
  9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for D'Addario Slowounds.