1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I need new tuning machines...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ccrnnr9, May 1, 2009.

1. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Well I was complete with my build and was super excited and went to string her up and what do ya know the used machines I bought are stripped and broken; a problem that doesn't become evident until they are under tension. Lesson: don't buy used on ebay for crucial parts. Doh!

Anyways I want to play this thing so bad so I am willing to forego best price and just want to find a set of four elephant ear tuners for my bass that are high quality (although if the price is low that is a plus!).

My only worry is that the bushings I installed and drilled for on the headstock won't fit the new tuners. Anybody have any idea what size modern tuning machines are? The ebay seller I bought from says the ones I bought have a shaft of .543 and bushings of .721 inches. I sure hope I don't find that the holes I drilled in my headstock are too big. That would be a drag. Also it would be a plus if the new tuners fit the bushings that are pressed in place currently as they are a tight fit!
    ~Nick

2. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I just installed a set of reverse kluson elephant ear style tuners. They are the Hipshot version of the pre CBS type tuning machines. Model HB3. Best tuners ever. You can get the 411 on the Hipshot webpage. I even prefer them to the ultralights also from Hipshot. They are smooooooth.

3. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    I love the ultralights, and I do not have experience with other premium tuning machines.

4. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    What about the expensive all parts tuners? I am thinking of the tko7901-001? Those are the only thing I can find locally. I really don't want to order online because that will requiring waiting a week while I get them shipped...I am currently bassless.
    ~Nick