Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need old school tone!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 5, 2004.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass. I have $500 to spend. I was thinking of building a Warmoth P-bass but I'm kind of undecided. I want something that will give me a thick, warm, passive sound. What are some different basses that can deliver that?

So far I've thought of a Reverend, a Jack Cassady, and a
    P-bass. What else?

I've been listening to a lot of Galactic and Greyboy Allstars. I want something along those lines but not exactly the same.

2. If you want old school then it's an easy decission...it has to be a P bass because when the school was old, P bass was the only bass around.

3. WATCHTHECHORD

WATCHTHECHORD

Oct 28, 2003
    NewYork
    i agree, old school sound, Fender P Bass..there is the sound u want!

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you are spending $500, a MIM P bass (new). You could buy a new pickup and bridge, all for under for $500.

5. Yeah, get a MIM P-Bass throw some flats on, raise the action, and put a piece of foam at the bridge to mute the strings. It's the old Jamerson setup that can't be beat for old school tone.

6. I just bought this on eBay. I've heard nothing but how great they sound so I couldn't pass this one up. It's my favorite color from Reverend and they don't make it anymore.

7. P-bass, or a Rick :bassist:

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That Reverend is sweet and I bet it'll serve you well. :cool:

Marshall