I need old school tone!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count_funkula, Feb 5, 2004.

1. I'm looking to buy a new bass. I have $500 to spend. I was thinking of building a Warmoth P-bass but I'm kind of undecided. I want something that will give me a thick, warm, passive sound. What are some different basses that can deliver that?

So far I've thought of a Reverend, a Jack Cassady, and a
    P-bass. What else?

I've been listening to a lot of Galactic and Greyboy Allstars. I want something along those lines but not exactly the same.
  2. If you want old school then it's an easy decission...it has to be a P bass because when the school was old, P bass was the only bass around.

Oct 28, 2003
    i agree, old school sound, Fender P Bass..there is the sound u want!
  4. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    if you are spending $500, a MIM P bass (new). You could buy a new pickup and bridge, all for under for $500.
  5. Yeah, get a MIM P-Bass throw some flats on, raise the action, and put a piece of foam at the bridge to mute the strings. It's the old Jamerson setup that can't be beat for old school tone.
  6. I just bought this on eBay. I've heard nothing but how great they sound so I couldn't pass this one up. It's my favorite color from Reverend and they don't make it anymore.
  7. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    That Reverend is sweet and I bet it'll serve you well. :cool: