Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metallica_18, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Metallica_18

Metallica_18 Guest

Apr 7, 2001
    Australia
    I need to here from people who have ever had, or has or have ever tried an Ibanez SR305DXBK 5 stringer. I need to know because i am purchasing one soon and want some opinions
    any help would be appreciated.

2. I had one briefly. The strings are too close together and the B string is not too good. Also the Mighty Mite pickups and preamp leave a bit to be desired. Just my opinion.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Marty on this one.

Weak preamp, tight string spacing, and the B is OK with new strings but after a few days goes dead. And the necks are too flexible, not very stable IMHO.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yep. Don't buy....IMO.

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It may get you started, if that's what you get it for... but in my eyes, it's not a keeper. How much are you going to pay for it?

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I've got one. I stuck a new pre-amp in it and now it's a pretty good bass. The spacing sucks. It has a good B with good stainless strings that are pretty new and the B has to bigger than .130 (roto sounds). It needs a quick-change bridge though. The neck isn't weak either, it'll flex a bit, but there are lots of basses that are worse, but there are lot's of basses that are better too. Shop around a bit too and try to play as many different basses as you can before you decide, I didn't and the Ibanez was an impulse purchase. (I still wish I'd gotten the Cort Curbow instead) Bottom line, it's a good bass, but there are a few better basses for the $, it's not as bad of a bass as the rest of you might think, but it's nowhere near the best.