I need overdrive help.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Jan 29, 2006.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Well I have a Boss ODB-3 bass overdrive, and i have not been able to get the overdrive tone out of it that i want.
    the tone i want is kinda gritty, tube-y, and has a little gain to it.

I was just wondering if yall could give some settings to get the tone i want or if yall could recomend me a good overdrive pedal that will give what im asking for.

thanks in advance.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  3. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    ^^thanks for the help ill look into that

its weird cause when i play with my headphones through the amp i get the overdrive sound i want but without headphones it sounds like crap

any one know of a reason for that.
  4. it could be that your amp is coloring your sound from the pedal in an undesirable manner. what kind of amp are you using? if its a little practice amp or something that might be the reason, i say just play around with the pedal some more and see if you can get it how you want
  5. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Best setting I ever found for the ODB-3 was off :D

Try a sansamp far more suited for that tube od sound
  6. The Fulltone Bassdrive sounds great and it gives you two channels for mild and heavy overdriven sounds.
  7. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006

well im using a Fender Rumble 100 so its deffinately not a practice amp.

and as for by buying a new pedal im not really in the possition to do that,

i dont have any money.
  8. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard good things about the Digitech bad Monkey, I'm prolly gonna pick one up soon. It's an analog tube distortion, and the best part is that it only costs about $40 (US). So a Bad Monkey may just fit your needs.

My personal setings for the OBD-3 are turning gain down a bit below 1/4 of the way, and the mix between 1/4 and 1/2. That tends to give me a pretty decent sound.

9. BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Well guys i have fiddled with my settings and i found what i was looking for,

all i really needed to do was fiddle with the balance knob and the eq part

so im good now,
    moderators yall can close this thread if you want.

thanks for all your help everyone.
  10. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh-oh; now ya'got me started...

That's why I use an efficient, full-range, wide dispersion PA cab, and a powerful solid state head, with a post-out balanced send.

That way: it sounds in the phones like it sounds on the stage like it sounds in the audience like it sounds in the studio like it sounds on the recorder track!!

sigh... A voice crying in the wilderness, I am -

Anyway: I love the ODB-3 for both light OD and full-on distortion, but not-particularly without an Aphex Bass Xciter before it (and preferably a CS-3 compressor before that, but the compressor's not necessary to get a great overdrive sound out of an ODB-3). I mean before it, mind you - like Xciter output to ODB input.

I'm out of server space, but if anyone would like to hear it (or throw it onto a server for me...), I can send you a brand-new recording I just finished that prominantly features my Aphex-into-ODB sound for most of the song - and where distortion isn't, the only difference was bypassing the ODB, so you can hear "what it's distorting". It's 2.6M file; 2:48 of music. I spent ten hours total mixing and mastering the song, but left the bass track almost completely untouched (Wha'da'ya know? You make the Bassist the band's mix producer, and he makes everything else fit around HIS sound... Hm.)

11. don't worry joe p you're not the only person that does that, i make it two.
  12. duncbass

Dec 28, 2003
    Hey Joe,

The bass player should always control the mix:hyper:

I agree with the headphone/full range cab theory. For years I could never figure out why a recording sounded so different! I like the color of amps and cabs though so I'm all for micing and maybe mix that with a direct out.

13. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

I was under the impression that made a better disortion than OD?