Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need Pickup for 80's Aria Pro Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RonnieZMagnum, Jun 12, 2003.

1. RonnieZMagnum

RonnieZMagnum

Jun 12, 2003
    Need a bridge pick up for an old Aria Pro ZZB Bass that I just got.
    I'm sure this pickup was used in a number of their bass through out the 80's. It has the shape of a soapbar (4.0"x1.5"), but the pole pieces are offset like a P-bass pickup.
    If some one has one, I would like to hear from you. I will consider a "cheap" complete Aria Pro Bass if has these pickups and they work.

Please contact me at propar340@yahoo.com.

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    You know, i just might have what you are looking for. Let me check and i'll take a digi pic of it and post it, you can tell me if it's what you are looking for. It would have come out of an 80's aria pro II so it sounds like it might work.

3. RonnieZMagnum

RonnieZMagnum

Jun 12, 2003
    Thanks, That would be great. Will be watching
    Could you also possibly send it to propar340@yahoo.com???

4. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Here is the pic

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That looks like the one to me...same as in my ZZB Deluxe.

[​IMG]

6. RonnieZMagnum

RonnieZMagnum

Jun 12, 2003
    Yes, I saw that one just a couple days after I got mine. Mine is Blueburst. Hmmm wonder if I can get this picture thing to work.......

7. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...small world huh? I saw your blueburst one as well!

If you can't find a replacement (but I think the gentleman who posted above has what you need) you could always send it to someone like Lindy Fralin for a rewind. Lindy rewound the neck humbucker in my Ovation Magnum and it rocks!

8. RonnieZMagnum

RonnieZMagnum

Jun 12, 2003
    An Aria Pro ZZB and an Ovation Magnum.
    The Magnum is on my list of wants in the future.
    Sounds like you also are into the strange and unusual from the 80's as much as me.
    I will keep the rewind information on hand

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yup! I'm a total sucker for 80's basses. Here's my #1 player right now...can you identify it??

[​IMG]

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    haven't a clue about the model but Vantage or Westone ? I picked up a Westone for a few days back then and it was a great sounding bass but had a rubber neck. At the time I was guessing a truss rod issue so I gave it back. It looked a lot like the one you're playing above but without the XLR and a couple of the switches.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    The brand name on the headstock says "Oakland" whuch I've never heard of before but it must have been made in the same factory as Vantage/Arias.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'll have to keep my eye out for one of those. That looks to be a sub-34" scale from the photo. Is that so ? Given that you're playing it I assume the neck issue I ran into was an issue with that particular instrument. The beige p/u's look like some of the Dimarzio's of that time. Are they or is it just a cream colored 'P' ? Any idea if the XLR (at least I think it's an XLR back behind the pots)and the mini-toggles are stock ?

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Not sure but everything appear to be stock. It's 34" scale and due to the location of the bridge near mid-body it's a really long bass. It's 47" from tip to tail. No clue what all the toggles do plus there's a 5 position knob as well. I just diddle with them to fatten up the tone as much as possible.

I picked it up from Swami at The Bass Palace a few months ago for $400 with original HSC also branded "Oakland". Bob had never heard of teh brand either and likewise assumed it was made in the Vantage/Aria (Matsumoto) factory in the 80's.

More Pics Here

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I can picture that as having a pretty thick sound already! If a P goes thump, then two should be tthhuummpp ?or is it just THUMP! ah well, cool looking bass