I need pickup help.

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Flat Bass, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    I tried Fishman and got nothing but feedback ever. I do not want to get a EQ buffer so someone told me Underwood and David Gage Realist? What do you guys think?
  2. I had a Fishman and hated it. I am now using a Realist, I'm happy with it. The important thing to remember is there are no pick ups that truly represent the sound of an accoustic bass.
  3. dvmweb

Apr 20, 2002
    Atlanta MI 49709
    I bought a KnK Bass max about 2 years ago. I hook it up directly to my Hartke Kick Back 12 with no pre amp. It works pretty well. I don't play very loud with it though. I would be interested to hear about the pick up condenser mic combination that Bob Gollihur sells. This sounds interesting as I some times use a condenser mic along with my pick up.
    Good Luck
    Walt MI/US:)
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a Barbera Bridge Transducer System pickup, and it really does a nice job of capturing my tone (though not the "air" so much, if you know what I mean). It has proven to be very resistant to feedback.

However, I will say that unless your preamp/amp/head is designed to accept the impedence of piezo pickups, then you really will benefit by using a buffering preamp. If you don't necessarily care for the "usual suspects", try out the Stewart UDP-1a. It's only about $100, and it does a fantastic job. The notch filter on it can also help control feedback. It also sounds great on electric (check out the "Great Preamp Shootout" on basstasters.com).

Hope this helps, Tom.
  5. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    I have used the David Gage Realist for the past 5 years. I use it with Spirocores and I find that brings out a VERY nice balence of sound. I think the realist is the clostest sound to a mic. It got me through college and I majored in bass performance. I used it with a big band and combos. It does put out a weak signal, but its not a big deal. When I recored I mix the realist with an AMT mic for a GREAT sound. I think you will like that......