Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need pictures of spalted topped basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by berklee46, Jul 12, 2002.

1. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm having a Curbow 4-string made and am planning on having a nice funky Spalted Maple top on it.

I know many of you guys have some great examples of spalt, so if you could post a few photos so I could check them out and send them to Greg for ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Sadowsky Fretless 5. First spalted top from the fine folks at Sadowsky Guitars...

This is very close to the actual color...
    [​IMG]

These two are too red, but you can see the flame in the maple...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Mostly burl, but some spalting:

[​IMG]

4. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Very cool! I'm meeting Greg at Atlanta Hardwood on Wednesday to finally get my 8 string, so I'll see what they have.

5. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Hey Jason, Thanks! He said he had some killer pieces, so if you happen to have a camera, that would be great, but even if you could just eyeball them, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for already posting some pics guys, it will really help me choose the right top by having all these examples to get ideas from.

6. Jeff: Every time I see your baby, it makes me weep that it's not mine... Definitely the most beautiful spalt I've ever seen (in photos, anyway)!! Scott will do well if Greg can find something even close!!

***...walks up to bed early crying and drooling.....***

7. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    Geshel,

Very nice! That's almost identical to the body wood on a Legacy I use to have. I thought it was what made that bass!

8. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    My Fodera Emperor 5. I really need to take some better pics...and learn how to post them on TB.
    Dan

9. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Here is another one.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Rader, that thing just rules. Adrian, yours is second in command, but rules just the same.

12. All right, I'm gonna swollow my pride and just ask, what is the difference between all this Burl and Spalt and Flame madness? It all looks like funny designs to me. How do they get wood to look like that?

13. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I think spalted maple is caused by a fungus.

14. Scott,

Did I ever show you pictures of my old burl/spalted top Elrick? Another TB'er owns it now, and he had some beter photos. All I have is the ones I saved from the BassNW site, where I bought it:

[​IMG]

Mike

15. berklee46

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I'm almost sorry I started this thread. Now I'm curious about the Spalt/Burled mix!
    But since I don't want to wait until 2006, I'll do my best to choose something from what Greg already has in stock! :)

To you owners out there - do the basses look as stunning in person as they do in the photos? I'm blown away by some of these pictures...

16. Well, the Elrick looked better in person, 'cause the photo doesn't let you see all the burl. It actually looked a lot like geshel's top, except with more of the black spalting. Also, the headstock was mostly spated, a lot like the upper horn--definately cool with black hardware on top of the wenge neck.

Speaking of which, you might consider asking Greg about doing a tlit-back headstock with a matching headstock overlay. It's not something he does very often with Rockwood necks, but we're doing that with my zebrawood 6, so it's possible.

Mike

17. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
  18. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    here you go: