Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I need Power Amp Suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mkbass, Apr 8, 2001.

1. mkbass

mkbass

Mar 11, 2001
    I recently bought a Trace Elliot GP12x Series 6 pre-amp. I am looking for about a power amp to supply two 8 ohm cabs with about 300-400 watts. SO, what I need is a decent power amp that supplys 400w@ 8ohms X 2. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST....the cabs are Trace Elliot 4x10 and a 1x15.

2. SWR Stereo 800

3. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Why don't you daisy-chain the two 8 ohms so you get 4 ohms, and them just use a bridged power amp? If I did that, I'd get a Carvin DCM 600 for $349, or DCM 1000 for $399. We use a DCM 600 for my bands PA and it works great and is real quiet. They tested the DCM's durability by throwing it 10' on to concreate, and It worked flawlessly.

4. mkbass

mkbass

Mar 11, 2001
    Your sound and tone changes when you daisy chain cabs. The second cabs signal is altered, no matter what type or quality of cabs. I would like to stay away from that, plus by using a stereo amp, I will then have control each channels level, not a nessesity, but nice option.

5. The Mackie 1400i is rated at 300 watts x 2 @ 8 ohms. Personally I can't imagine needing more power, and I play some fairly big rooms.

6. mkbass

mkbass

Mar 11, 2001
    Its not that I need alot more power, I let the PA do a majority of the work for me on the road, but I just need the power to get the tone out of those cabs, and so that I have plenty of head room to prevent clipping the signal.

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I'd suggest taking a look at a QSC PLX-1602 or PLX-2402. The 1602 puts out 350 watts per side at 8 ohms and the 2402 475 watts at 8 ohms per side.

8. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    OK. I've never really noticed daisy-chaining to make any difference in the sound besides making it louder so, where did you get that idea? Is this for a P.A.? If it is, you don't really need stereo control, because the way the audience is spread out, only about 20% of the people would notice a difference if one side was louder than the other, but if you want it, need it, can afford it, and are willing to pay for it, what can I say, besides more power to ya.

9. Another vote for the Mackie 1400i. I use mine with 4 ohm Peavey cabs, either bridged into my 412 TVX (1400 watts), or dual channel mono into a 210 TXF and 115BX (500 w per side).

A good, reliable and solid piece of equipment. You can get a brand new one for $599 or so.

Also, my band uses a Carvin DCM 1500 power amp for PA and it is also a very good amp - a nice thinbg about it is the upgraded speaker connection choices you have (banana plug, 1/4" jacks and speakon). I'd look into those as well.

John