I need rack recomendations for my 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Droog, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Here is the deal folks; I have a 400+ living in a 12 space shock rack right now, the problem is that its too damn heavy, takes up too much stage and the only other item in it is my Furman. My plan is to put both of these (and probably a compressor) in a 6 space rack. What do you recomend? Should I go with a plastic SKB/Gator type or go a little heavier duty with a flight type case? I feel like a flight case is going to be way heavy. I am pretty careful with my equipment too, so maybe plastic would be fine.

I will be buying an Aurelex Gramma pad to set on my cabs in order to absorb some shock.

For what its worth the cabs are a Mesa 15 and a Mesa 410.

Thanks alot.
  2. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    YMMV, but I'm using a 12 space SKB US Roto rack for my main rig. It weighs about 90 lbs. altogether, about the limit of what I can lift without too much trouble. The new US series Roto racks are made much better than the original Roto racks, although they are obviously not meant to take the sort of abuse that a full-on plywood and plastic flight case can handle.

Here's a pic (the empty spots are perforated blanking panels for airflow):

3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like skb U.S. roto racks, make sure you order correct depth.

skb UNCONDITIONAL LIFETIME GUARENTEE: "All SKB hardshell cases are unconditionally guaranteed forever. That means if you break it, we will repair or replace it at no cost to you. For warranty service call 800-410-2024."

I used my warrenty twice and didn't pay a cent for shipping or anything else!!

regular racks:

with wheels:
  4. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I got a regular Gator 4 space rack for my Bass 400. I put some styrofoam padding on the bottom of it and have basically been pretty careful carrying it around. No problems. I press all my power tubes in before each show, to avoid the possibility of blowing a fuse.
  5. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    Thats good to hear, we have similiar rigs. I have been kind of nervous about setting my amp on my cabs, but it sounds like if I get isolation I should be fine.

I have somewhat narrowed my search. It will either be something like the Road Ready flite cases or an SKB/Gator. I have to decide how much the additional weight will matter to me.

FWIW - A Mesa 400+ weighs 45lbs
    - A Mesa 12sp shock rack weighs 86lbs

I stand to loose at least 50 pounds either way I go.

Thanks guys.
  6. g04t

Aug 16, 2004
    Sunnyvale, CA
    so i've got a 400+ and a SKB 6 space rack. I have yet to put the 400+ in the rack due to the fan being on the side of the 400+.

I was going to cut into the side of my SKB rack in order to make an outlet for the fan but decided to read here first.

Should I not be worried about this?
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm msquared and I approve this rig. :D
  8. Ive had an SKB shockmount 8U case that i had my SVT-II in (kinda similar in stature to the 400+, but heavier), and i didnt like it, it would have been fine, but i prefer a proper flight case style case,

You might want to look at a mesa SUS case, those things are sweet!

And watch out, ive heard instances of devices that are rack mounted directly above a tube amp having problems because of the amount of heat generated
  9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England

Mine is in a 6u flight case and is JUS about liftable by one person with the lids on. Very well protected though and well made.
  10. alanbass1

Feb 8, 2006
    Expensive, but to me you can't beat Anvil ATA approved flightcases. They even do an ATA approved lightweight version with a new type of honeycomb structured ABS. These are not much heavier than the Aligator type.
  11. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York

I've got an SUS case and I love it. I've been trying to find another one but the ebay pickings have been thin lately on them.
  12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I bought a 5 space rack used on TB for my 400+. It holds my rack tuner and leaves plenty of ventilation space in the rear...I've also seen roto-style 5 sp. racks on eBay for a decent price. I'm always concerned with keeping the amp cool when using... so those SKB style racks tend to be tight near the fan vent on the Mesa(the handles which are 'inset' are the problem)...you may need to 'modify' your new case with a drill to create air flow.
  13. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Mine came with a black carpeted Grundorf thin plywood case.

I tried to use the SKB but the handle dents inpared the fan location.

The Grundorf has about 1" on each side but tight on the top and bottom.

Fan on Hi all the time. No Problems with heat.
  14. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I actually prefer SKB Roto's over the standard SKB's, and I use a 4 space Roto, and also use the optional rear rails. I'd also shoot a look at the Grundorf Mighty Lights (lites?) if you want straight solid surfaces. I chose the roto because it seemed that the extra thickness in the design offers slightly better shock absorption.
  15. Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I use a 4 space Gator case with 1/4" holes drilled where the handle inserts are - this also corresponds closely to the positioning of the fan. I have never had any problems with overheating.
  16. well if u get a gator rack, ill buy your shock rack off of ya. ;)
  17. bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    :D SKB rorto with wheels & pull up handle.

Mine is a 6sp. luv it. retired my ata 12 space which took 2 people to move and lift.

I keep a power conditioner, wireless, tunnner, & head.
    Work great Look great.
  18. I just have mine in a roto rack and I drilled out two more holes in the rails and put in bolts so if the rivets come loose it wont come out.
  19. Most of the racks I find in the internet seem to open only from one side... Doesn't the back need to be open so that the amps and the rest of the things be properly cooled?