1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I NEED RECORDINGS TO HELP ME DECIDE

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nick Ioannucci, Apr 29, 2006.

1. i play a fretless MIM jazz and lets face it, the pups arent really that great. the hum is horrid. so im looking for some recordings of different stuff, ie EMG Bart fender Nord or wat ever. i really liked a recording of the emgs, but can i dont think i can squeeze that into a bass with the the battery and all. idk. please help, any suggestion wanted and will be greatly helpful

2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I had an MIJ fretless loaded with the EMG J set and the battery fit just fine in the compartment, it would have fit even better if I would have trimmed the leads down to exact length needed, but whatever. As far as tonal quality, there is someone on here with some really killer clips of their fretless with EMGs and it sounds awesome. Comparing my experience with them to his tone and then the EMG site sample... I couldn't get that great of a tone out of them. They are definitely a step up from the stock ones because they are more balanced and absolutely no hum (unless you install them improperly). But other than that, they were kind of bland.

I have some Nordstrand NJ4SEs in another jazz bass of mine (fretted mind you) and I could not be any more happy with the tone of this bass, I bought the pups used because I wasn't sure about them and now I would gladly pay list for a set. They are exactly what I was looking for.

I know some manufacturers make fretless specific pickups, I am not sure if this is just a marketing gimmick or what have you, but I am saving up right now for a pair of Aero Type 4s, their "fretless" pickup.

What kind of tonal character would you like to bring out in your bass? Because if you just want to eliminate hum, go onto ebay and snag a pair of DiMarzio Model/Ultra Js for $60 and you're set... but if there is a certain tone you wish to achieve with this upgrade go ahead and list it and people will be able to give you more adequate advice. In fact, I created a thread similar to yours a couple months back- You may wanna give that a once over for further input.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227969

3. I don't think this will help, but I don't know whether there's any value from recordings that have been done with different gear and settings. Though a bass plugged into a desk via di, with flat eq and no fx, with the same player playing the same piece can only be a guide. Since not every player has the same style and setup, what sounds great for one player may sound crap to another. Maybe all you can really guage, is that they are quiet pickups. If you can find someone who has an MIJ with all the pickups you're after, then you 'll know for sure. But, chances are slim. There's been some experimentation on this forum already, which has been documented.

Personally, I don't like EMG's anymore. I've had some real ones (not cheapy model) in an early Fender '71 P bass, which definately was better and much quieter than the the stock pickups that were microphonic (though the Fender pups sounded pretty good before that), in a Godin V and a Steinburger. Ofcourse, with eq, compression and other fx, you can get a wide spectrum of sounds. But what about dynamics? Everything starts sounding too...

I'll be winding my own soon so I won't be buying any. However, if I was going to buy, I'd probably be considering the Nordstrand, Bartolini, Aero pickups.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if you look in the pickups faq, you'll see links to a few threads with J pickup samples

5. david your the best man, your pickup thread was exactly what i was looking for. now that ive downloaded them all, im just weeding out what i dont like. once again, thanks

6. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    David, I just wanted to say thanks as well. Are you going to be recording P's next? I saw you had the Nordstrand on there. I'm going to be making a PJ bass in the next couple months, so I'm trying to do my research on that.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I do have a bunch of P clips I'll upload at some point also