1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need show off peice?

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by AcidShred, Jan 29, 2008.

1. AcidShred

AcidShred

Nov 9, 2006
    I'm jamming with some very talented musicians my age in a week or two, I need to impress. I need something to play that will blow them away, I'm intermediate by the way.
    P.s one is an guitar shredder and the other is multinstrumental freak who mainly plays drums. They like bands like RHCP, Snatch and muse. Any suggestions?

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Marcus Miller and/or Victor Wooten. :)

3. AcidShred

AcidShred

Nov 9, 2006
    :bawl:
    Curse my pathetic skills.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    You're not the only one.

Do your friends like Led Zeppelin?

5. AcidShred

AcidShred

Nov 9, 2006
    Yes.

6. Try Muse - Hyper Music or Muse - Sunburn

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't one need a little more than a week or two to polish a "show off" piece.

8. If you don't sleep, you can double your practice time.

9. superzeus

superzeus

Mar 3, 2006
    Hysteria- Muse

Around the World- RHCP

Just off the top of my head.

10. Ramstien

Ramstien

Aug 19, 2007
    Perth
    The bass solo in Pictures Of Home by Deep Purple.

11. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I don't mean this to sound condesending, but instead of learning some insane solo peice, why don't you ask them what tunes they know and learn them really well. They will be more impressed with someone who can walk in and lay it down with a solid groove than they would with someone who can't play anything they asked. If you show up and display the fastest double thump ever, they may be in awe, but when it comes time to get down and play....

12. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    spot on.

if you really want to impress them, play the c major scale. it's less know than super fast tapping, slapping et al.

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Good advice, bro.

14. jar546

jar546

Dec 14, 2006
    Yeah, what he said. And if that doesn't work then if you can pull off a good YYZ by Geddy they will be impressed.

15. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    smoke on the water

16. Bass Odyssey

Bass Odyssey

Mar 9, 2006
    Also, you may spend all hours trying to nail the "show-off piece," only to sound iffy at the try-out. If you're trying to do something that's out of your league, your weaknesses will have the advantage. Better to work on something you know and are comfortable with, or dust off that lick you've been trying to complete for a while. Go with what you know, polish the skills you have, and be who you are. Odds are they're looking for someone to support them, not overshadow them.

Oh, and i before e except after c. Just think "you can't spell piece without pie." :cool:

17. Don't patronize him, man!

I've been playing for over 3 years and I still can't do that!

Heck, NOBODY, can do that!

18. mikethecannibal

mikethecannibal

Jan 19, 2008
    erie pa
    play the bass lines from slow ride especially the ending part, it sounds awesome alone, but the bass lines in the song are also good stand alone riffs that go good

19. dakpluto

dakpluto

Oct 14, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Agreed with above. Forget the "show off" piece. That's a good way for them to show you the door.

Instead, spend the next week just playing with a metronome and learning scales and arepgios. Will do 5000x better for you than some silly piece that is honestly shows dick as a true bass player.

20. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    personally, i'd say learn technique, so the better you are at all the techniques the quicker you can pick up any song that uses a specific one that you know so well you can do it in your sleep.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021