1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some advice...I'm suspicious.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Sep 10, 2008.

1. I was contacted out of the blue today by a local producer and musician, who was introduced to me by a friend.

He's asked me to go and do some work for him, recording some song ideas he has. In return he says he can get me a band together, playing New Order type stuff (which is precisely what I want to play).

My suspicions come because last year we had several major rows and disagreements in a personal setting, and it seemed unlikely at the time that he was actually interested in working with me.

I'm also wary because he claims that I'm the 'only person who can do what he does' (his words, not mine), which seems odd considering he is leading a production company.

My view is that this guy is simply trying to trick me into doing a lot of work for him and using the band stuff as a 'worm' to try and control my work and playing.

Should I give this a shot and possibly end uo with gigs/my own album or does this sound suspicious?

2. RiseAgainst

RiseAgainst

Jun 4, 2008
    I would also be suspicious (I'm a true cynic at heart) but i would go for it. Just don't sign anything >.> without going through it with a fine tooth comb. Otherwise, what do you have to lose? Don't get caught up in something and just go through it with caution but take as much as possible from the experience, is my advice.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I agree with RiseAgainst. Do it. Even if the things promised don't pan out, you'll learn plenty.

"Chance favors the prepared mind" and this looks like a good part of that preparation for whatever may come down the road at a later time.

4. *smb

*smb

Nov 26, 2006
    Is this the same bloke you've complained endlessly about? You must be taking the piss if so.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    It's a little premature to be digging in your heels just yet. It could very well turn out to be a scam. Then again, it could be legitimate.

Since you're not obligated to anything at this point, there's really no downside to at least checking it out, is there?

MM

6. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Do you ever not have something wrong Fassa?!

Anyways, I'd say take a chance but be wary.

7. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Ask him to pay you instead, and form/find your band on your own.
    that way he has no undue control over you.
    If he's not willing to pay you, his real opinion of your skill will be clear.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Tell him to get the band together first and then you'll do the work for him.
    See how that goes over. Probably not well.

9. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    Make sure you have an agreement, preferably in writing. Personally I wouldn't see someone helping you get a band together as a reward for your work to be honest. If you are recording parts for him you want some kind of agreement, probably financially or in return for some kind of services at the very least. You need to be absolutely clear on what that entails.

"In return I will help you put a band together" is not reward for services rendered, you don't have to be a genius to know that. You know that fact that someone is a producer or calls themselves a producer doesn't mean they have magical powers to make your music happen. You should be able to put your own band together anyway.

10. Martin Bormann

Martin Bormann

Sep 20, 2007
    Seems like a good idea. Go for it, you'll make a million dollars.

11. Has he ever heard your playing? Because none of us have.

12. That's it? That's the big payoff?

All things considered, I smell BS. I would avoid him.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have done small projects like this under the following terms:

1. I get paid for the job, just like a gig, and that's it.

2. I do it for free, to help a friend.

I don't sign any contracts. Granted, I am not a sought-after session player or a composer of original material.

So far I have never regretted either approach. Demo recordings that I have helped bands make have resulted in me getting hired for their gigs, or it helps expand the overall market for bands. I risk not getting rich if the recording goes multi-platinum, but that seems like the risk of not winning if I don't play the lottery.

When people claim to be some kind of rain maker, or have something completely intangible to offer you, those are BS red flags. Call me cynical, but anybody can call themselves a producer.

14. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    On the other hand it wouldn't hurt to have some kind of agreement, preferably in writing, as I said. This whole story sounds like nonsense to me anyway, but it seems to me that the reward is not at all worth the work considering that that is the only exchange going on here.

I have done work for friends on projects I wanted to participate in for free, or for an exchange of work. This isn't that though. It doesn't really matter whether you are sought after or not, there is always the possibility that having performed the work that the person will use that work to make money and you will have no compensation at all. There is nothing even to say that you will be credited with the work you did. These are the things you need to think about first call session musician or not.