I need some advice on Warwick 5-strings...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Aug 30, 2000.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've been playing for the past couple of years with a Washburn xb-100 4-string,which is cheap and therefore sucks.I want to buy a 5-string bass and I'm thinking of Warwick.Now,I can only afford a Streamer Standard,a Corvette Standard or (maybe) a Fortress One.Which one do you suggest?Can you compare them,because they're not in stock in my area.Thanx a lot
  2. If you can afford it I'd go with either the Corvette or the Fortress. I haven't heard anything really positive about the Streamer Standard. I currently own a Vette 5 and a neck through Thumb 4. The Vette usually has a bubinga body and the Fortress is maple. I'm pretty sure that the necks are similar in shape etc. The Streamer is made of carolena. I've seen some of these at a local store and the grain of the carolena isn't very attractive IMHO. Go to http://www.warwickbass.com for the specs. According to the latest catalog the Streamer Standard is their "affordable line" which is not to say that they aren't good basses. They just aren't as nice as their neck through basses.

Hope this helps,

3. basskid311

Aug 28, 2000
    I recently bought a new 'Vette standard 5 string and I recommend it. I had gotten a deal on it, since I know the dealer. The list price was $1600 but I got it for $950. It has such of a rich tone, and the low b string growls like an upright. It is definatly an unbelievable bass for slap and plucking. I recommend it as a bass that could be played forever. Nothing beats it's tone.
  4. Bobb Nagel

Bobb Nagel

Aug 30, 2000
    Chicago area
    Also just purchased a Corvette 5. One word of caution. The bridge requires tapered strings, especially for the B. Non tapered will be difficult if not impossible to pass through the bridge. BTW, love the sound. Played a few of the other Warwicks, and each seemed to have it's own unique sound. I found the Corvette 5 the most versatile for my needs.
  5. akajuve400g

May 22, 2000
    I have a corvette 5 with active pickups. I like it but you may not. The corvette has a nice way of cutting through the sounds of guitars. But the fortress would have a nice deep warm sound, if your into that I recomend it.......
  6. soundofphysics

Jul 17, 2000
    don't forget the bolt on 5 its not much more expensive, and its pretty sweet, if you're a "slapper" its definitly the way to go, the vette might be better if you're a non slapper, or a lil bit of both. and i also think the streamer's not bad at all, i've heard people bash 'em, but i have no complaints.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    I would go with the corvette all the way...normally I would say a thumb would be better, but the way the pickups are set up makes it hard to use them as a rest for playing fingerstyle...way back at the bridge and all....personally I like playing a little closer to the neck, and the corvette lets u do that....sounds awesome too, btw...
  8. surf-bass

May 3, 2000
    Just a note of caution to a Warwick purchaser. I used to play with a Thumb BO 4-string and found that the bass was a bit neck heavy. Not too bad, just a bit out of balance. I didn't have a problem until my band went into the studio. Long days (and nights) in the studio wearing that bass tore my shoulders and back up! I would assume that the 5-string, with a larger neck, might have the same problem, perhaps even more. The longer upper horns on the Fortress and Corvette basses make for better balance, and both are more affordable. But on the positive side, the tone of Warwick basses is hard to beat and the fit, finish, and overall design is top notch. You really can't go too wrong with one, especially since other basses that are comparable go for twice the cost or more. Anyway, just one guys $0.02!

Lee Stahl

BTW in case your curious what replaced the Warwick, I now play an Alembic Rogue and a Tobias Growler fretless.
  9. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    I currently play the Warwick 5 Corvette and Thumb fretless 5.

Great basses. Very growly, especially the thumb fretless. I wouldn't recommend the Streamer standard, although it isn't a bad bass in itself, just poor attention to detail.

If you're looking at the other models, there're 2 ways I recommend getting 'em cheap.

1) eBay. Caveat emptor of course.
    2) Swee Lee music in Singapore. They might do shipping to the US as they take web orders at http://www.sweelee.com.sg

The Corvette Standard 5 goes for S$1750, and at S$1.71 to the US$ plus the 20% web discount, you're looking at under $900 for a new corvette 5 active. Even with shipping you can save about $100-200 or so. Try calling or emailing them and check if they can put a deal together for you.
  10. surf-bass

May 3, 2000
  11. extreme

Mar 20, 2000
    I've got a really great Warwick Corvette FNA for sale posted in the "basses for sale" section. Check it out and don't be afraid to ask questions or make me an offer.

12. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    first of all,thanx to anyone who's answered so far-you've been sooo helpful.second,i want to say that i'm from greece -so i can't buy a used bass.thanx anyway :)
    PS:I forgot to mention that I want the bass to play heavy metal music.
  13. surf-bass

May 3, 2000
    Buying a bass to play metal. That, IMO, is another matter altogether. I would advise you to stay clear of Warwick, as the tone, I think, is too clear and piano-like for metal. I mean, you can spend the money if you want to and get a great bass, but for metal, I think there are better, more affordable, basses than Warwick. For a good sounding rock/metal bass, I would reccommend Ibanez. They are good basses, and are better suited to that type of music. Don't get me wrong, I'm not putting metal down, it's just that I think Warwick basses are better suited to music styles with more finesse, like jazz, folk, lighter pop, etc. Again, this is just my $0.02, no offense intended.

14. I don't agree with the above post but that's my opinion. I think the Warwicks are pretty versatile. Also, P-nut of 311 plays a Steamer II and they have fairly heavy sound albeit it's a metal-reggae hybrid style.
  15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I have a Fortress Masterman 5. It is a great bass. I'd recomend it for ANY style. The Corvette is nice too, but I like the shape and feel of the fortress better. But something can be said for the Corvette Jazzman... that's quite a nice bass.

"Warwicks are too heavy."

That's only in the eye of the bassholder. I don't like light basses. I don't trust them. Maybe it's because I don't play much on stage and never in the studio, but I like them as well as quite a few other people. If you don't like heavy basses, then by all means, avoid warwicks.

"Warwicks not for metal..."
    WHAT? The tones I can get are really sharp and punchy and would fit right into punk or metal. Saying a warwick won't fit into metal is like saying that a Spector won't fit into metal. Tell that to Megadeth or Alice in Chains.
  16. surf-bass

May 3, 2000
    Like I said, I was just putting in my $0.02. But as for the post above, Megadeath I will give you is metal, AIC is NOT. Besides that, as I said in my post, Warwicks can fit if your music has finesse, AIC has alot of finesse and skill, blending blues, rock, grunge, and alternative to give a unique sound, but I wouldn't ever call it metal. Also, Specter basses have been THE studio bass for years, I think I've read somewhere that as much as 80% of the studios use Specter- they, too are phenomenal instruments, or Warwick wouldn't have copied them. But if you look at the other really heavy bands out there, like Korn, who is maybe not metal, but very heavy, you'll see a lot of Ibanez basses. Hell, the bassist for Kiss, the worlds biggest metal band, Gene Simmons, used an Ibanez Iceman bass for a long time!!! All I meant was that in a heavy, power-chord ridden environment, a bassist might not need the piano-like clarity that a Warwick can deliver. For a lot less money, you can get a bass that has the punch and tone needed for metal.

I will agree that weight is a personal choice, but again, I would warn people buying a bass unseen that my old Thumb was not well balanced, and betwen the balance and the weight, became a problem after long hours in the studio.

As I said, I love Warwick basses, I just don't (currently)play one. Don't take things so personal, here people- the idea here is not to talk someone on the list into buying an expensive bass, but to help a brother bassist make a good choice of basses that will suit his needs. That just might involve considering other basses as legitimate alternatives to the beloved Warwicks.

Don't be so defensive.

[Edited by surf-bass on 09-02-2000 at 09:13 AM]
  17. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It's okay... hug?
    Do you have a hug for daddy?
    I'm hip... I'm with it...

Good point though. I made it somewhere else. Get any bass, a loud amp, and a thick pick... now you're ready for metal.
  18. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    btw,i think i should mention that besides the groups you mentioned above,the bassists of Autopsy,Helloween,Slipknot,Bruce Dickinson,Elegy,Paradise Lost and Cynic also play Warwick...so I don't think that should be a problem.And anyway,when I say metal I don't mean the somehow limited sound of Kiss and Iron Maiden;there is soooo much variety in metal-just check out Dream Theater...I don't think any Ibanez would fit their sound.

take care ppl
  19. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Well, I play Dream Theater, I play it with an Ibanez SR506 Bass.
    In Fact, John Myung's tone SUCKS, at least it is barely noticeable, and he uses a Yamaha Signature Bass (That is really uncool to play)
    Btw, John Petrucci Uses Ibanez Guitars.

Sorry for going off topic.
    I love Warwick Sound and will use it for any style.
  20. surf-bass

May 3, 2000
    Man you guys get defensive. All I am saying is that you could go out and buy a BTR twin turbo 911 Porsche to go to church on Sundays, too. But will an old Gremlin get you to the church on Sundays? Sure it will, and you won't have to spend $250,000 to get one!! Will Warwick work for metal or any other style? Sure it will, but Warwick basses are the Porsche of basses. Is it worth getting a Warwick for big bucks when a less expensive bass will do the job more than adequately? I say no. Maybe I'm just a poor slob who has to work for his dollars and has to think about where they go more than some of you people out there do, but I have to say "no, it's not worth it." If it was really worth it, we'd all be driving the 1/4 million dollar cars, living in mansions, eating at the finest restaurants, and saying "Hey, it's only money!" Well, unfortunately, I have to work pretty hard for my money and have played in bands long enough to know that the instrument you buy to play out with might never earn its keep, gigs just don't pay that much. Go with what works for as little as you can get it for. In the end it's the music that matters, not the name on your bass!