I need some advice re: Bass gear

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mithrandir, Nov 11, 2004.

1. mithrandir

Nov 11, 2004
    I need some help regarding the use of pedals or gear. I presently have an L2000 that I play through a yorkville BM400 combo with a yorkville 410 extension cabinet. I have lots of power but I can never get the punch and definition I want. Is there any pedals or preamp i can use to assist me to get a more defined and punchy sound. I don't really want to part with my amp and I can't afford an EDEN or a Mesa Boogie. Any advice on what I can add would be helpful. :meh:
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Do you mean punch as in "cutting through" with a live band or are you talking about a punch in the chest kinda "snap" al la marcus miller?

If you are having trouble cutting through, try boosting your low mids a little and leaving the bass flat (or cutting it a little) (it just sucks up your headroom). It will probably sound like ass on your own, but with a band it should really help.

If you want a huge slap tone, you will need to boost your bass and treble and cut your mids a little, but you will probably need more headroom if you are trying to cut through a loud band.

It sounds like your set up is just fine, you are unlikely to need new equipment, just tweak what you've got.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well gandalf, i tend to agree with mark. more than likely a lttle eq will help a lot. give my best to the maiar and valar.