Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i need some advice

Discussion in 'Ask Rufus Philpot' started by Hail_Araya, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Hail_Araya

Hail_Araya

Mar 12, 2006
    i currently use a yamaha rbx 374 bass and im thinking of gettin a new one. any suggestions on a reasonably priced (around $500) step up

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    This should probably be in the Basses forum. With $500 for a bass, I'd probably look at the ebay market and watch prices, condition of items for a while.

3. FDRT

FDRT

Apr 7, 2006
    id get a mex jazz

4. juggernaut jaco

juggernaut jaco

Jun 20, 2006

5. rufusbass

rufusbass Skype Bass Lessons Now available.

Sep 10, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Check out Ibanez 900 series roadgear, fender jazz-used (marcus miller/geddy lee models are also interesting)
    Buying new with a small budget is not a good idea, but make sure the neck /frets are ok before you buy......
    Cheers
    Rufus

6. Go shopping. Hit GC or any of the other guit. shops (ones with a large selection) and play a lot of basses. Find out what you like and don't like. Shop around. When you find one that appeals to you, shop for it online, craigslist, here, eBay...

And if you have a friend or teacher who really knows their stuff (regarding setup, necks, electronics, etc.), ask them to go shopping with you. They can help identify 'gotchas' and other issues with whatever instrument you are contemplating.