I need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan07, Mar 9, 2010.

1. So I just joined a prog metal band called Disforia. Their old bassist played a 5 string tuned to D-A-D-G-B and the band really wants me to tune my 6 string thusly, like a guitar in drop D. Out of curiosity A) how many other bassists actually tune like that and B) should i give in and tune like a gutarist?

This is my first post (ever) so pardon me if there is another thread like this one. Tried to find one but came up short. Anyways thanks for the advice fellow bassists. I appreciate it.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Maybe they just don't get a 5 string. Everyone leaves me alone. I play drop d all the time and never have to retune. I don't think they understand your instrument.

3. Personally I would never tune any other way than BEADG. I'm in 4 bands and they all use conventional tunings.

Back in the early 90's I had a Hip Shot Drop D tuner installed on my Fender JP-90, but I never liked using it. It made playing to confusing. Besides, I knew I'd be in other bands and plain old conventional tunings would suffice needless to say.

4. Hmph, the band doesn't tune to low C. Tell them the band should change to this manlier tuning.

5. jammin_fool

jammin_fool

Nov 19, 2009
    Oaklyn, NJ
    The real question isn't "should you tune in a weird tuning to accomodate the band", it's "how much do you really like what this band is playing, and are you willing to try something new and strange to accomodate them"? I've never been in a band that needed anything lower than the low B, so standard tuning has always done well by me. However, if you really dig what they're doing, I'd say do what you need to so you can jam along!

6. Do they understand that you can not only hit a low D, but also as far as low B? I'm guessing not. Ask them why. I don't think they'll have a real answer.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    +1, that's what I was trying to say.

8. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Tune your 5 string BEADG, when they ask for a low D, give it to 'em. On the B string.

9. My thoughts are:

1. Keep the original tuning BEADG
    2. Learn to play the notes in their songs using the original tuning.
    3. gui****s are always trying to get everyone to play it like them.
    4. Play your way :)

or you could say Bite Me like I do to my guitarist. :)

10. quigg

quigg

Jul 27, 2008
    Norfolk, VA
    This is confusing. If you can play the parts they want you to in a tuning you are comfortable in, why would you change tunings?

11. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I'm going with this is one of your first bands?

Don't play with guys that don't like the way you play. Best advice ever given me.

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    My guess is that they want you to use this tuning so you can exchange ideas/fingerings easier without actually having to name notes. No, it's not the greatest idea and will take you awhile to acclimate, but if it makes the process more efficient and collaborative, give it a shot. If it doesn't help, revert to standard tuning and tell them to chart everything out. This will promptly get you kicked out of the band and your problem is solved. =)

13. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    You play a 4 string?

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'd say yes, if the band tunes that way. Its part of jelling and melding with the group. They may like the visual cues of seen where the others at on fingerboard now and then. And this could help you with creating original music with them. And its like testing1two said imo. Besides, some of the most innovative and best bands have done that. I belive this includes Yes, Black Sabbath, & Mahavishnu Orchestra.

15. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I play a 6-string and usually tune down a half step to match the band. About half the time, the guitarists both tune in Drop D (technically, C#), and I will sometimes drop both my E and B strings along with them. Depends on the context of the song. If it's a riff that does a lot of open string bouncing, I usually will. If it's a riff that I like to play in standard tuning, I wont detune.

There's this stigma about bassists being above drop tuning, and I don't really understand it. If it makes you comfortable, do it. If not, then don't. Beyond tonal reasons, some things are just easier and more ergonomic when played dropped.

16. ya this is one of my first bands. thanks for the advice guys!

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021