1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lfeil, Apr 22, 2010.

1. lfeil

lfeil

Apr 22, 2010
    chico, ca
    I need to know if Aria's or Hagstrom's are good basses, I've never these and I'm out of the country right now.

I sold my Music Man Sterling hh (bad idea) and I'm in the pickings for a good 400 to 600 dollar used bass, but i want to play with dignity and i wont sacrifice quality. I'm also into the vintage kinda look. can anyone help me out on suggestions?

2. Gojiras_Hejira

Gojiras_Hejira

Feb 9, 2010
    I had an Aria Pro II. I thought it was a great bass. It was bright & bouncy like a MM. Good for thumb stuff. I didn't like it for the stuff I played on my Fenders.

~Jimm

3. Playing with dignity is up to you. Playing with quality doesn't require a high end bass, but it does require a solid setup, good strings and electronics, and good fingers.

The Aria Pro II series and may of their older Matsumoku-made basses are solid, dependable instruments. Hagstroms haven't been made in years, so they may be a rebuilding project.

Want a vintage look? In your price range, a Fender J or P is a super-safe bet, the quality is solid, and you can customize to your heart's content.

4. *hugs*

I'm sorry. I love my Sterling HH. Well, it's also my only bass and the first I bought with my own hard earned money...but I could never sell it. :)

For your price range, though, I second a P or J. Can't really go wrong with either.

5. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I'm not positive but I think he's talking about the new Hagstroms and new Aria's. The newer line of Hagstrom guitars are pretty decent, and I had a chance to tool around on some of the basses at NAMM... I'm relatively picky I guess, as the Hags didn't feel all that great in my hands, but I think a few people on the board have them and like them. The ones I tried felt a little heavy and a few had sharp fret ends. If you took the time to get one set up properly and maybe get the frets dressed you'd probably have a decent playing instrument that at the very least does look very cool. Can't comment on tone as I didn't play one plugged in.

As for the new Aria's... again not too sure. I know the mosrite-copy they make definitely looks cool (and they were blowing them out on Amazon for something like $150 recently), but I've never seen one in person. Now the semi-hollow Aria TAB-66... a guy had one at my monday night gig, and he sounded great with it, and in person it looked pretty stellar. I don't know him all that well, but I know his other two basses are a Geddy Lee sig and a Fender Jaguar, and he seemed to like this Aria just as much, so take that for what its worth. At the end of the gig I kinda wanted one too.

6. lfeil

lfeil

Apr 22, 2010
    chico, ca
    I actually am talking about the new basses, although I am not opposed to an older one. I play mostly prog and indie so i'm kinda addicted at least 3 band eq. I need some variety. Thank you guys!

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Sounds to me like you may like an Ibanez ATK. Vintage looks, modern stirngray sound.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Arias are overall very good. Many of them got used by touring pros. Including by Venom and some other black metal bands. The things that allways impressed me about Arias was the high output pups with excellent crunch, slim easy playing necks, excellent construction. Aria has been around since the early 1970's and perhaps longer.

9. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

Two of those look like they'd be a good Musicman substitute.

10. the red and the blue one? :confused:

....:D